Wondering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A Moderator's job is never easy. Being on several gun related boards as well as here, I've seen some prtty nasty threads get way out of hand pretty fast. The guidelines here aren't all that different, and are there for good reason. a little nonsence is good for everybody, even me:lol:
    IMHO, I think the Mod's here do a pretty good job..........Buck:oops:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We do clearly differentiate between locking threads (stays readable, but no more posting) and deleting them.

Locking happens when they get WAY off track or we are moving in circles. Deleting happens with grossly inappropriate content.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As one of the original moderators on this forum, the Cage definitely served a purpose, and it was one of the reasons that this forum was founded. The original owner of the board created this one due to being unhappy with how things were being handled by the moderators on the TH board.

The whole idea behind the creation of this board was so that it would be a different, freer environment where people could talk about anything and everything, and it would be free of censure - to a point anyway. There were rules, but they were a bit more relaxed. Any cursing or vulgarity was edited or deleted, but the cage was a place where people could have at it with virtually no holds barred. I moved a couple of threads to the cage, and occasionally edited some text in a post, but I always PMed the author of the offending post and asked them to edit it themselves if it wasn't too incendiary.

It would seem that over time this board has turned into another version of the TH - not necessarily a bad thing, but far from the original idea of why this board was created in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The cage was a very interesting place, towards the end of it it also became religious and political platform for some very one sided stuff. The problem in my opinion was the agendas of many posters there. No discussion, just monologues that I thought would have been better suited in hate the republicans/democrats/religion/government in general web forums.

I do miss it, but at least 10 posters that turned it into a political/religious free for all, I can do without.

Actually, the rules haven't "changed" a bit for the rest of TM although we do have different moderation. I am not aware of any attempts by the owner of the site to "influence" the moderation, so I think that the focus is probably OK.

Looking at the subject of trumpet, after a while everything has been covered, then comes the reruns. Then most semitechnical sites will gain in similarities.

I don't post over there (not because I think anything is wrong with TH, I just got comfortable here first and very much enjoy the company and over all tone), so there is at least one difference.................

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The reruns were one of the main reasons I stopped posting and participating for a while, but then, with any board you go do - and it can be anything from trumpet, to drums, to guitar, to recording gear and anything in-between - there seems to be a percentage of rerun topics that were covered years ago in some cases. I stopped posting here specifically because of how I was summarily dismissed as a moderator when the board changed hands. Kind of silly I suppose, but it seemed important at the time.

I like the TH well enough, but I like the forum software better here, and there are some folks here I really like. I also like that it isn't quite as busy as the other place, so it makes it easier to stay on top of what's going on with a reduction of the rerun factor.

Regarding the cage, I wasn't really around when it became a platform for pontification - at it's inception it was a great idea, but if that's what it turned into, I probably would have voted to do away with it too.

Well, from what I've seen here in the past month or so, I think that the Mods do a pretty good job - it was tough being a mod and it always seemed like no matter what you did (even if you did nothing) it didn't please everyone in the forum community.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The Mods are kinda sitting on a fence, you get stuff tossed at you from both sides that way. Not an easy place to be at times..........Buck:oops:

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm not saying good or bad but, this place is nothing like it was when it started.
    When Manny came here, there was a huge change. He calmed things down considerably.

As far as the cage; if you don't like what is said there, don't read it. Why would anybody who would get offended go there? Other than taking up space, who cares what people write? Maybe it just needed a warning to enter at your own risk.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    After dealing with a bunch of idiot conductors over the years, the stuff thrown here is harmless. :cool: