Wood Mouthpieces ? Titanium ? "Unobtainium" ?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Robert Rowe, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    There is currently running, another Post Topic, regarding the use of titainium for horn components, including mouthpieces. Most mouthpieces are of brass, plated with silver or gold. There are mouthpieces fashioned from wood, as I understand it (the manufacture's name escapes me -- sorry). I believe Stomvi has an optional wooden bell, also (piccolo trumpet?).

Can anyone comment, hopefully with personal experience, on the wood(en) mouthpieces.... Also, those bells ?

Other than Lexan (for cold weather?), are there any other materials presently, or previously, used to fabricate mouthpieces ?

What are advantages ? Disadvantages ?

Robert Rowe

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Stomvi makes mouthpieces in brass, silver, gold, titanium, ebonite and carbon fiber. I have a Stomvi wooden bell on my picc and it is really cool. I use it for small rooms in intimate settings as the projection is much less than the other bells. The wood also deadens the response of the horn a bit.

Maurice Benterfa produces the wood mouthpieces and they are marketed thru Stomvi. Kanstul and a few others make wooden mpcs but the rims
    are usually plated brass.

Seth Moore

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Anyone have experience playing on a wood piece?

I would be afraid of splinters.... *Shudders*

Van

4. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Yes, but only on a alpenhorn! :cool:

No problems with splinters...

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I could be way off base here, but it sticks in my mind that that the wood used in the wooden mouthpieces isn't your typical oak or hickory. I think that it is ebony, zebra wood, or some other very hard, dense, exotic hardwood. My dad once made a set of grips for a Cold SAA revolver from a wood he referred to as iron wood. This stuff was so hard, he had to work it for hours with rasps and files to shape it. It got to the point where it almost wasn't worth the effort.

He also made some scales for a big 15" Bowie knife that he made, and he made those out of a couple of piece of cocobolo. This is also very hard and dense, but it was easier to work than the iron wood. It has nice orange to red hues and it polished up really nicely.

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I've been "in-&-around" wood-working for quite a while. Among other things in our shop (mostly instrument repair), my business partner (a prominent luthier) and I build guitars, mandos and ukes.

I haven't played on a wooden mpc, but I saw a picture of one, and it is obviously constructed from a laminated blank (like a butcher-block), and turned-down on a lathe.

Patrick -- you're correct about "ironwood". Something much, much harder is lignum vitae, which has been used for centuries (& still) as ball-bearings, and has now been replaced by steel, of course. Ebony is so dense, it will not float, as ironwood, also.

***By-the-way ... "ax me about Ebonics."

...onward ....
    Robert Rowe

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The laminate thing would make sense, otherwise, how could you as a wood mouthpiece maker guarantee any kind of consistency?

I wasn't sure if those revolver grips were actually made from iron wood, or if it was something that he just referred to as iron wood because it was so danged hard and tough.

That's interesting about lignum vitae - I wonder if it would be possible to make an entire mouthpiece from a block of that - not just a cup. It's an interesting subject, but for me, I'll stick with gold plate over silver and made from brass.

I wonder what a mouthpiece made from Tungsten would be like? It would be heavy, that's for sure!

8. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003