wooden bells or leadpipes

Discussion in 'Horns' started by the8thchef, Oct 1, 2005.

1. the8thchef

the8thchef New Friend

Sep 4, 2005
    does anyone here have any knowledge about what the trumpet would sound like with a wooden leadpipe??

and does anyone know where i could pick up a wooden bell??

2. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    They sound really bad. The worst part is that the sound only projects approximately 6 inches in front of your bell. Stomvi has made some horns with wood bells in case you are still interested.

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I doubt that Stomvi would make a product that is terrible with "a sound that only projects 6 inches in front of the bell" and still attempt to sell it to the public, this isn't exactly their reputation.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If Maurice Benterfa can make mouthpieces out of precious wood, he may have the ability and tools to do bells and leadpipes; not knowing much about manufacturing, that's a stretch. Did you try contacting him? How about the folks at LeBlanc? They make an outstanding clarinet...

5. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I've never seen one but I bet it would be interesting to try.

6. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    I there such thing as a completly wooden trumpet and mouthpiece? :?: :play:

7. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    I have a Stomvi Master picc with the solid sterling silver, gold plated brass and also the wooden bell.

The silver bell projects the best and responds the easiest, the brass bell is the smoothest (and my favorite) and the wooden bell projects the least but is really cool for small ensemble or solo baroque chamber orchestra stuff. Almost sounds like an oboe or soprano sax. The wooden bell also responds the least and you have to put a tad more oomph into it. Very unique though. A real crowd pleaser. Not many around.

Seth Moore

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I've got the same setup, including the wooden bell. They all 3 sound great, and each serve a different purpose...