Woohoooo!!!!! I got a new gig...drumming!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trickg, Dec 16, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey, I wanted to post this up because I'm excited that I'm going to start drumming out again. Nothing fancy - I'm being put into the rotation of a nearby Praise team, doing contemporary Christian music.

I stopped drumming for a Praise team because the "leader" and I, uh, we just didn't have a meeting of minds. :cool: I was not asked to leave - I left volutarily and for good reason, but that's another (long) story for another time.

The cool thing is that with this church group, I'm not going to be on the hook to play every week - they have two other drummers (although one of them is routinely out due to some other committments) and they wanted the security of being able to have a fallback or two when things come up.

I'm totally stoked about it for several reasons. One reason is that since I stopped playing for the other band last January, I have routinely put 20 minutes to 1.5 hours a day on the drums, working on music, working on chops, and learning and solidifying my technique - much more time than I have put on trumpet anyway! :oops:

The best news is that it won't interfere with my party band gig, so all is still cool there.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Congrats Pat!

I almost think that drumming is true love!!!
    Don't let that B6 go to waste!
    Are you using a full kit in the praise band?

-cw-

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hehe, it's funny you should ask. :D I'm about to bore you:

I have a 5-piece fusion sized kit (essentially means that the toms are a tad smaller and not as deep) - the kick drum and toms are from a Pacific (made by DW) FS 100% Birch kit - it sells for mid-level price, but there is nothing mid-level about the way they sound, especially since I got rid of the flimsy stock hoops and upgraded them to the "standard" 2.3 mm thick triple flanged hoops.

My snare drum is a 6" X 14" 10 ply maple snare drum with a die cast batter hoop - I made this drum myself from a shell and parts that I ordered through a supplier online. Good stuff!

My cymbals - wow, a guy can spend a ton of money on cymbals in a hurry, and mine are no exception because I didn't buy beginner grade cymbals.

Made by Sabian
    20" AAX Stage ride
    17" AAX Dark Crash
    16" AAX Stage Crash
    14" AAX Stage HiHats

My Kick pedal is a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator

For the price point of this kit, I have taken it as far as it can go - my next drums will probably be an upgrade to maple Pearls.

For those of you who know your drum gear, you will probably agree that this is a pretty sweet setup and I didn't skimp, although I didn't buy all of this stuff outright either - it's been a constant evolution to the point where it is now.

:D

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    CONGRATULATIONS Patrick!

I wish you much a** kicking and enjoyment with your sweet set-up. Enjoy your gig!

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bravo, buddy... great news. The best part about your news is how pumped you are about it! Do what you love, love what you do.

ML

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wholy Cr*p... and I thought trumpet players obsessed about gear! LOL.

Enjoy the "ride" (pun, anyone?).

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    He IS a trumpet player!

-cw-

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahhh... you have a point there, Chuck.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I ashamedly must admit that I'm a bit of a gearhead, but with drums, as with trumpets, in many ways you get what you pay for and you can always benefit from spending a bit more for higher quality stuff, especially where cymbals are concerned.

Manny, thanks for the encouragement - my goal as a drummer for Worship bands is simply to make use of what I can do - I'm actually playing a flugelhorn thing Christmas Eve, so I'm not entirely drum-ho. I do still love to play the horn when it's working well for me, and the last gig I played on trumpet, I was on fire and everything was working right.

Thanks everyone!

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Pat that's great....

Tear it up for me! One day when I can actually play the trumpet I worry about playing another instrument :-P

I have the highest respect for musicians who can play more than one instrument so :wave:

Keep rocking!