woops....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    so just given my trumpet a good clean and whilst giving it a quick dry i've managed to peal off some sort of film that covers the 3rd slide, not sure what to do! its sort of half come off so do i pull it all off or leave it! im not sure if its just a protective film from the postage or if its part of the laquer?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A hot bath can remove some types of lacquer. If it has a loose piece, you might as well peel that part off. You live in an appropriately-named town, BTW...:-)

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, agree with Dale.
    Probably too hot water was used to wash the horn at some stage, and this has caused the lacquer to laminate/separate from the brass. Usually signs of cloudy lacquer will appear first as a sign that it has separated. If loose remove it, but you will be back to bare brass, so expect the finish to oxidise and dull off pretty quickly over time. This will not affect the sound or quality of the horn.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    ok fair enough, its only 3 months old aswel :(

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If it is 3 months old since it was new, there should be warranty coverage. Unless you gave it a bath in boiling water, the lacquer should not be peeling off.

6. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I agree,

I have used hot water to remove lacquer from a peeling horn intentionally, but it has to be pretty hot. I would contact the manufacture. I bet they will fix it since it is so new.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yeah, 3 months old you can probably go warranty; it may have already been defective. Next tme remember that if you cannot stand under the water naked, then don't put your horn into anything hotter.

I too have used boiling water to remove lacquer from a horn, so really hot water should be avoided for cleaning.

Sometimes I do shower with a horn to clean it. Ok no jokes guys!

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Is your horn a Strad? They have a tendency to lose their lacquer as fast as a dragster. Mine (a rotary C) lost about half of it within six months, and Bach did not accept liability. SO I went for silver plating instead, and it works fine - has improved the sound, too.

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Nope, Selmer concept TT

Selmer Concept TT Trumpet Gold Lacquer

its on the 3rd slide were the finger ring is :(

could I get it repaired in the UK under warranty or would I have to send it back to France!?

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Try to have it repaired thru your shop in UK… Remember since january Selmer doesn't make nor sell any instruments but woodwinds & saxes. Not sure they repair brass horns any more !