woops....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh the possibilities! :-P

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    "Sometimes I do shower with a horn" … and play "singing in the rain" ?

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Seriously? What about the felts? Doesn't water ruin them?

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    How hot was the water? I bought a Reynolds cornet last summer (for $35) and the lacquer wasn't that great so I decided to strip it. I boiled water in a very large pot at my parents house - one my mother would use to boil a dozen corn in - and then put the cornet in, turning it end-to-end every 10 minutes or so. When I finally took it out the lacquer was peeling off just as you say like a clear film encasing the instrument. I think I got most of it off (intentionally) that way.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    well it was from a tap in the kitchen, not like a kettle so it wasent boiling, and with cold water in aswel, compleatly forgot about warm-hot water taking laquer off! so it was warm, I was quite happy to have my hands in there no problem so it wasent that hot!

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Same thing - Selmer and Bach use the same lacquer. A remnant of the time when they were part of the same company. Try getting the shop to accept the warranty, or go for the silver.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW - Nice horn, you have good taste!

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Cheers, love it!

I spoke to a guy at Uni who repairs instruments and he said because it was my fault it cant be covered under warranty.... :( might just peal it all off and leave it as raw brass.....

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

If I were you I'd push it a bit further. The 'guy who repairs instruments' is probably not the same guy who would sign off on a replacement. I think you said this isn't a very old trumpet and the water was comfortable on your hands. Trumpets SHOULD be made to be bathed so I would think that you would have reason to complain and try to get some compensation. Contact the manufacturer directly as well. Complain to everyone the whole way up the chain. My wife's friend recently found a wood chip in a package of diapers and contacted the company (Pam....). They checked it out and then sent her a large quantity of new diapers, coupons, and an apologetic letter. Stuff sometimes happens during manufacturing and something gets out the door that shouldn't. Perhaps there was a problem with the lacquer application on your trumpet.

10. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1 Good advice from Craig!