Work Work Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Anyone know any reliable range increasing methods or exercises that I can stick with for a bit. Of course range is slowly developed. Any really good range exercise would be great. Stuff I could stick with every time i practice. Any endurance stuff would be helpful too! Thanks. I don't want to develop bad habits espicially since schools out and I have no teacher but myself

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long soft tones in the staff - play as long as you can - taking breaths as needed -- do this very softly -- this is like playing the 2nd line, in the staff G for 20 minutes, and other notes in the staff!!!! ---- ((and now that you asked the question, and you don't believe my advice - you can continue to "do your own thing")) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sethoflagos likes this.
  3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ....and we might add

long soft tones in the staff - play as long as you can - taking breaths as needed -- do this very softly -- this is like playing the 2nd line, in the staff G for 20 minutes, and other notes in the staff!!!! ---- ((and now that you asked the question, and you don't believe my advice - you can continue to "do your own thing")) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

I know this is similar to the previous posting, but......

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Sethoflagos ---- I conncur with your advice and your conntribution, If I were to offer good advice, it would be a lot like our advice -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Play MUSIC that is in the upper register everyday, EVERYDAY. Isometric exercises only build strength but not necessarily the skill to play in the upper register. The trick is, when it sounds like you're playing high, you aren't doing it right.

6. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Above suggestions are great. They will work but they will work much much better with a good teacher. These days, with Skype, long distance teaching can really work

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep. It's called practicing.

8. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Clarke Study no.1 continuing up another octave still remembering the pp dynamics and not a forced tone. :-)
    I've only recently started introducing it into my daily practice, but I can already feel the benefits (solid tone, easier to produce tone etc.) in and above the range I already have.

Just work at it everyday, though I suggest not spending too long up that high to begin with as it may well do more harm than good.

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Major Scales, ascending by half steps. Played legato with a fermata on the top note. Play the whole scale up and down in one breadth. Plan your air so you hold the top note as long as possible and have just enough air left to make it back down to the bottom note without rushing. Moving notes should be played as even quarter notes. It takes a while to get this exercise right, if you have air left when you get to the bottom note, you didn't hold the top one long enough, if you have to rush down the scale or run out of air, you held it too long. Don't move on to the next key until you perfect the key you're on...I normally start on g below the staff and work my way all the way to starting on g above the staff, with a small rest in between each key, working through 3 octaves takes about 15-20 minutes...the long tones get shorter as I start getting above the staff, but I'm working on it.

10. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Try Geoff Winstead's Cat Anderson Method book. It worked for me!!

Steve