Work Work Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Some notes sound very high because of the way they are played. Your high notes should sound effortless and relaxed just like your normal register. Listen to Chris Martin play the Storyteller at ITG. It goes up to a high Concert Bb I believe but he makes it sound like it's no big deal.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh my -- you should really get a copy of the CAT ANDERSON METHOD ---- I really hate to disagree with you (after all, I know you can play better than 98% of the people on this site in my estimation -- you actually might be 1 of the top 3 jazz trumpet players in America) -- but the CAT method is heavily filled with LONG TONES (oh, sure there are tonging and slurring exercises also) -- but when you add up a lesson toward the end of the book (and there is plenty of 10 and 20 minute "rests" in some of his lessons) --- a Lesson will take a little over 4 hours total time, of which nearly 70% is actual long tones!!!!) -------------- just keep in mind, most of these long tones were in the staff, or slightly above the staff --- which in my opinion -- DOES NOT wear you out, or hamper the development of the high range!!!!! -- there are very few LONG TONES exercises that are consistently above the A above the staff!!!!, at least for any long duration in the lesson -- - just pointing that out

ps. who knows maybe CAT ANDERSON threw us a curve ball, and really didn't practice that way -- if he did (practice with his method), then I have to concur that long tones are an important aspect of developing RANGE, and of course, endurance!!! ((((and yes, you need to practice everything: tonguing, slurring, musicality))) -- but yeah LONG TONES are the CAT'S MEOW for high range, so to speak!!!!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and FYI - GM -- you just substantiated my first post ----- NOW THAT NO ONE WILL HEED KT'S ADVICE ------ they can resort to their own thing!!!! -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so ricecakes230 --- you asked a simple question -- and now you find that if you ask 2 trumpet players a simple question --- you will end up with 3 opinions, no 2 of which will agree!!!!! -- have a great day anyhow!!!!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just checked my Cat Anderson Method ~ just in "Study No. I" ~ you play 20 min. ~ 2nd line G~ 20 min. of middle C ~ 20 min. of A to High C (followed by 15 bars of tonguing exercises) ~ then close out the practice with more long tones ~ that is over an HOUR of long tones!!! yeah, guess Cat Anderson misguided us poor long note supporting peeps ~ so sad, so very sad!!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT... I am looking at the Cat Anderson Book as I write this. He uses warm up long tones. He does have a gradual work up to a B natural above staff for 3 bars that end on on bar of high C... That hardly a long tone makes. All the range building he has does not have long tones above the C on the staff on page 2. Also if you read Cats introduction, he warns you about over playing and cautions you to warm up with the page I just referred to. Please do not suggest to our readers that he uses high range long tones. He does not.

7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think that the Cat warm-up long tones are played with a modified embouchure as well (tips of teeth lightly touching) which is quite difficult (for me!) to get used to and actually produce a tone. The theory being that you will "find" your correct embouchure this way.

At least that is my interpretation...........

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe your interpretation is correct... I believe his intro likens it to dancing with a woman, holding her lightly in your arms.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would suggest Top Tones by Walter W. Smith. It has some real good range development exercises kind of tossed in as a preface to some nasty hard etudes. Smith forces one to be musical while dancing around upstairs, and I think it a wonderful antidote to our tendency to think strength more important than fluidness. They are also humbling.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Once mastered, 8va! :roll: