Work Work Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Aug 17, 2013.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    An old cornet player told me many years ago to "Hold her lightly and kiss her gently", (the cornet of course).

Regards, Stuart.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- your misguided --- I never suggested that you had to do high note - Long tones ((and that high C that is gradually worked up to, uhm -- takes 20 minutes of playing -- and that is all E on the top space to the High C -------------------------------- and too much long tones!!!!! -------------------------------my whole point if you read the post was that Cat Anderson did 1 hr. of long tones in some of his studies ---------------------------------------- so is 1 hour too long to play long tones!?? ROFL ROFL ROFL ---------------------------------- STUDY NO. 1 -------------------------------------------------- if it ain't an hour of long tones GM, please show me how you count!!!!! (and that is not to mention the long tones to end the study with), albeit, you apparently only play that 2 days, before you move on to the next lesson!!!!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    can you call up Alan Vizzutti and ask him how long is too long for long notes!!!!???? ---- if he says less than an hour..................................oh, forget it, he probably doesn't even do long tones.......................................much less, do them for an hour..................................................... oh fiddlesticks --that Cat Anderson Method, and 1hour of long tone warm-ups!!!! .................................................................................... I'm going back to the Doc Severinsen method..........oh, phooey on Doc Severinsen method also, that crazy fool actually does a 2 hour warmup, and plays for another 4 hours in practice ((6 hrs. total, he must be CRAZY)) ROFL ROFL ROFL

hey where is ricecakes230 (the OP), he was making it there gradually-- range, endurance, and such -- hey OP, how much do you practice each day?????

4. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Cat Anderson was an upstream player with a gap between his front teeth. He did the exercises with the teeth closed. There are some cats who do it this way and experience benefit. Recently, 1 or 2 people put clips up of how it should sound...I think they may be on youtube. Someone also recently posted this on the TH: http://fac.hsu.edu/bucknej/resources/trumpet talk/Dirty Dozen.pdf I just went through this one...took about 1/2hr.. Looks like an amazing chop builder.. Similar to exercises that Chris Jaudes does. Best, Lex

5. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    The range exercise that has helped me go from "A" above the staff to "F" is nothing more then a flow study in a chromatic fashion with a long tone on the last note ................

Practicing in this way has helped me go from low to high, and I think somehow mimics playing music ................

Also for me Page 125 of the Arbans book makes this exercise lot easier ...............

Maybe it will help you!!

6. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hey!! Stop following me!!;-)

7. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    i think a couple of lip slur exercises would work your chops for a better range. i do it along with long tones because i don't think you can train flexibility of your chops with long tones as much as lip slurs.

by the way, i think you guys are scaring the op away from this thread...guys calm down a little, ok?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    CALM DOWN a little??? -- ROFL --- c'mon man, what is a little excitement in a post, this is a good thing ----- and it really goes to show that us trumpet players disagree on many levels, but we can all learn something - ((WELL, except GM --- and that is only cause you can't teach an OLD dog any new tricks)) -- well, I suppose you could, if we give him some SCOOBY SNACKS ROFL ROFL ROFL FYI, for those who have no clue what I just said ((((Scooby Snacks (Scooby Snax) are a fictional food item, but there is also a licensed dog treat with the same name. They are used as a form of incentive payment for the cartoon characters Scooby-Doo and Shaggy from the Hanna-Barbera series Scooby-Doo and its various spin-offs))))