Working condition of a professional trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sungman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    So I'm curious about the working condition of a trumpet player in the orchestra, Broadway, and etc.
    I was thinking of pursuing a career as a trumpeter and I'm curious about the average pay, job security, and etc.

So can anyone shed some light on this subject:-)

I mean it's either this or becoming a dentist with a lot of free time ;-)

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What kind of education do you have?

3. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes that is very important. Also, if you love the trumpet, pursue your dream of becoming a trumpet player. But, if you don't think you will do a good job with that job, then become a dentist and you can always join the community band, volunteer bands, etc. And remember, don't ever choose a career because of money, if you don't like it or have no interest in it but you want the career because of money, you won't do a good job at it, it always helps alot if you like your job...:-)

4. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Well I'm still a freshman and I am just curious about professional trumpet players.
    But I still would like to know their working condition and job opportunities.

5. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    First starting out as a professional trumpet player is tough, unless you get real lucky and get a break and link up with a group. As you get better and learn the ropes you can cut a couple of CDs.

When I got out of college I thought I was pretty hot. So I went to LA and hit the bricks. I wore out leather going from place to place and waited on a lot of tables. I started teaching to supplement my income, but soon gave up, came back to Indiana and got my MBA. Now successful in business, I play in a group and enjoy giving lessons and try to help promising trumpet players better themselves.

I know several dentists that are musicians and enjoy doing both. Besides, as a dentist you will most likely work four and a half day (if that), make an excellent living, play lots of golf and still have time to enjoy playing the trumpet. My dentist does, except he plays the trombone and is enjoying life to it fullest, and making a ton of money each time I sit in his chair!!

6. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Thanks a lot Rush, that really helps a lot
    Well I guess it's time for medical school...

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I've heard many things about being a professional, but the truth is that it's simply difficult. Most people don't get great breaks right out of college. If they do, they worked their BUTTS OFF in college. Those who go pro and make it big usually feel like they're called to this profession from some other source. They can't see themselves being happy doing something else. As a result, they work so hard in school and in everything else that they get really, really good. They end up giving themselves no choice but to play the trumpet for a living. But, that's what they wanted in the first place!

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm glad you posted this. Because that's me. And I feel like I have nothing to be afraid of any more.

9. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    So how would a musician find a job after college anyways?
    Life seems...almost impossible for a musician but fun!
    Well it seems that a career in music is not my forte, and my parents threatened to disown me....well it'll still be a life-long skill :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Be in the right place at the right time, and be prepared. That's how you get a job.