Working condition of a professional trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sungman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    First off, you must love the trumpet! Second, you must put in a ton of practice time. And third, you should really get to know people in the field you want to work. There is a lot to be said for knowing (and being known by) the right people. You'll get called or recommended for more gigs if you get your name out there.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Are you the best player in your Zip code ? Good !! But thats no where near good enough, are you the best in your state ? Good ! It still may not be good enough to make a living on it............THATS how good you need to be to make a living on playing trumpet. The statements above my reply are true !!Get a good paying career, and never lay your horn down, it's part of you and always will be, use your career to support your trumpet and have a blast doing it !! You never know where your horn will take you !!!

Jack

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You must be happy with what you are doing, as you are going to be doing it for a long time. I can think of nothing worse than doing something that you find out you hate and having to do it for your career. Take your time and decide what your dream is and then try and follow that dream. However, you need to understand that you will have to be able to make a living and probably someday will have a family to support. If playing trumpet is your dream then you have to start paying the price right now!! The trumpet has to be your best friend in order for you to succeed.

As far as money is concerned Wilmer is exactly right, however the competition for the symphony jobs is wicked. One job with a symphony can bring more that a hundred applicants and they all play well. So you really have to be the best you can possibly be. If the price is too high then you need to look for something else. It is totally up to you.

5. guitmusic11

guitmusic11 New Friend

Mar 1, 2009
  6. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    These guys get the job by being THE BEST in L.A. That lead trumpet player is Wayne Bergeron--the other one talking, I believe, was Rick Baptist. They are the studios top call guys. That was my dream job--still is, in a way, but I know at this age I'll probably never make it. So my second goal is to teach trumpet at the college level.

Russ

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    If you're after the money in this league of music pick up the Oboe, Bassoon, or Cello. Those are the highest salary jobs in our industry.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I guess it depends on what you call making a living and being a professional.

There aren't very many trumpet players who derive over 90% of their income from
    a single, regular gig like an orchestra - not teaching. I would guess there are maybe only a few hundred jobs like that in the whole country - just a swag.

If you really want to be a pro then get involved with playing in community bands and local theater pits. That's a good way to at least get a taste for the life without having already decided.

my 2c,

Greg

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    what are those guys hearing in the headphones?
    Is it just them or just the section or the entire orchestra?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I'm pretty sure the entire orchestra is there. They all have mics and everyone can hear each other through their headphones.