Working on Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Jan 20, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I am having issues with producing a very strong and clear tone. I do know that to work on it you can record yourself and also listen to other performers with an excellent tone quality. Does anybody else have any tricks in developing a desired tone quality.

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I can tell you only what improved my sound

When I started to breath low -so that my belly would pop out my sound opened a lot

also a lot of pedal tones improved my sound -and slightly puckered embouchure to reduce pressure

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Stand tall, tense your stomach and practice very very long notes untill you run out of breath and try lip slurs were you hold the last note for aslong as you can

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most of the players needing work on their sound just need to slow down. Reduce the amount of technical studies and invest more in flow studies. Play more tunes instead of articulation exercizes, play duets with good sounding players, invest more time in soft. Most of the time, the problem is not sound quality, it is the lack of expression in playing. There are beautiful bright and dark sounds and just as ugly in both camps too. Developing style and taste turns most players noise into a wonderful experience.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Equipment can also be a factor. Rather than investing in a new horn/mouthpiece I would suggest you find your trumpet's "voice," the place that it resonates.

That is why we play long tones. Make the room vibrate and listen for the harmonics--(here is the really esoteric stuff) and change them. Don't think about the mechanics, just the results.

Long tones are the trumpeter's form of meditation.

They will help your sound as well.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I like that! Gotta go meditate...

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------
    You need to fatten your sound, right?
    Try this:
    >Play a long tone medium loud.
    >Stop, now play the same long tone and close your eye and listen to your sound deeply
    >Stop. Play the long tone again keeping your eyes closed and imagine (yes imagine) the sound slowly growing out from your body. Not louder but fatter. Remember, not louder but fatter.
    >If you do it right you will feel the sound growing out from your body and your sound will get fat.
    Hope this helps

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones!!!

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    David Hickman has a excellent text, "15 Advanced Embouchure Studies", that consists of a series of exercise where you bend the notes in flow studies. These helped me greatly in finding my pitch center, which ultimately helped me get my sound.

The principle is roughly the same in long tone exercises I use and assign, which typically consist of starting a note softly, crescendoing to a decent forte, keeping the pitch, then bending the pitch up and then down and back. When you get back to the pitch, look for the most resonance in the tone and that will be the pitch center. Playing in the pitch center is the key to playing with a full, resonant tone, inho.