Working out rhythms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey People

I have recently been having lots of trouble with new music. The reason is because i cant work out rhythms. Most kids i know, when they tried to play for the first time, they could just work them out. I'm not that bad, semibreves, minims, quarter notes and quavers, but anything else i really struggle with. Especially with different time signatures. Any advice?

Thanks.

2. CuriousMe

CuriousMe New Friend

Jan 2, 2012
    New York
    LOL I confess that I had to google everything but quarter notes (here in the states, they're whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and eighth notes) :cool:

The only advice I have is to keep practicing. The good news is that you don't even need your horn for this. Grab any music you can (maybe even a hymnal) and just sit with it and try to clap out the rhythm. It's really just all about counting.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WHAT???? we are supposed to count, and play music as it is written?????????? when was this part of our musical education and experience???????? can't I just play jazz, and forget about whole notes?????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL ................just keep practicing, and go slower to learn the rythms -- find the song on youtube or elsewhere if you can and listen to the rhythm -- that should help!!!!

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    sound 'em out: 1 e and a . . . for 16ths . . . 1 a li . . . for triplets. 1 and 2 and etc for 1/8ths.

if i can't say it or sing it, it's the devil to play it.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    concentrate on hitting the downbeats, then break the rythym down...
    If get flummoxed in the middle somewhere just nail the next downbeat and keep going.

Here in the States we were taught to count as described above... 1 e and uh, 2 e and uh, etc. The "and" is the upbeat.
    This was 35 years ago... now idea how they do it down where you are... everything is bass-ackwards there.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are creatures of habit. Our playing consists of patterns in our heads. We can develop those "patterns" at any speed, so it makes sense to commit them at a speed where we make no mistakes - that means VERY slowly. Once the pattern is in our heads, recall can be at a much higher speed.

With decent lessons, students get a steady diet of new rhythms and patterns. They are generally prepared for the music that comes up and don't have to use the music repeated thousands of times to develop the needed patterns.

My students bring all of their band music to lessons so that we don't have such surprises.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice, practice, practice.

As rowuk stated, so slowly when reading new rhythm patterns. Very slowly if necessary.

Don't be afraid to write in arrows for downbeats and upbeats over tricky lines. It can help you "recover" if you miss something:

[​IMG]

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This is how my ex, the violin teacher, would work out extremely difficult parts for herself (Brahms and Beethoven stuff)..... VERY slowly. With a metronome. For her students, she would have them using their hands to clap out the rhythms.

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Use your feet!

A cheap version of the metronome is a foot. Remember your foot is your friend and the cool thing is, they usually come as a set so feet are our friends! You can set them to any beat, and they count for you (tap(1); tap(2); tap(3); tap(4)...); they are vestal in that the feel can be set for 3/4 time, 4/4 time, 7/8...; Minimal requirements for maintenance with the most essential being a toenail trim monthly.

So TAP OUT OF IT; you'll get the rhythm down; and it's a feet anyone can accomplish!

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Another thing that always helped me in a general way, not specific to a particular passage, was to write my own rhythms. Start doing simple ones, then try to make them as complicated as you can, in many different time signatures. Really gets you thinking about the divisions of a measure.