Working Out????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 6, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I am amazed at the number of physical problems I read about all the time on this board. I am not makeing fun of any one since I myself need to lose some excess fat. I was the one guy in Band Class that was also an athlete.While rare such creatures are none to turn up from time to time.

What I am going to present are some excellent alternatives to what is preached int he media. First if you hate exercise but know you need to improve your strength and are not looking to develop huge muscle's you should consider "Isometric Power Revolution" by John e. Peterson! Contray to the title it covers more then just isometrics and it will improve your total body strength and your blood pressure contray to popular belief. In fact many people manage to come off high blood pressure medcine after 2-3 months of practiceing this. You do not have to be athletic as it can be done by bed ridden patients and does not require any equipment but if one chose you could add equipment to it.In fact isometrics are the most use form of isometrics after surgery to rehab patients with joint injuries amoung other things.

If you used to work out a long time ago but do not have time to go to the gym I would recomend another book. You can and are welcome to get the first one I mentioned as it add's a get edge to ones athletisim. I would recomend in this case though "Pushing Yourself to Power" This book is full of body weight exercise some of which you have probably never seen before. Both books are writen so that someone that has never done any exercise in their life can follow along. The only thing you might need is a pull-up bar.

Both of these programs can be put together to give you aerobic benifit but it never hurts to go for a walk once in a while!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You don't even need a book. Go swimming a couple of times a week. A half an hour of pianissimo swimming is as good for the average joe as hours of other stuff. It also gets you out of the house and with other people not interested in trumpet. That is also worth quite a bit.

My experience with athletic trumpet players has not been good (I've had a couple of students throughout the years). My observations: a too physical approach to playing, a too simplistic approach to solving problems, very low level of humility - they often just did not listen. Amazingly, there was deficiencies in reading and writing too so the only teaching approach that worked was TONs of repetitions.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Athelticism and the mindset that goes with it is not necessarily mutually exclusive to a humble, open-minded musical life. My old trumpet teach here in LA has been a lifelong athlete and in his mid 70's still plays in a number of the top rehearsal bands at the local 47 along with his younger, flabby accomplices. My second chair guy back in high school, a fine player, ended up Warren Moon's back up quarterback at U of W.

Doc Severinsen is a fine athlete and credits it with his longevity. Some of the best athletes are terrific students in all areas.

I work out regularly and I'm not half bad...

Ed
    MySpace.com - Ed Mann - 51 - Male - LA, California - www.myspace.com/jazzlips

RobertSlotte likes this.
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm with ROWUK, in that the pool serves me well. I don't swim per se because when I learnt (to swim) it was in salt water, chlorinated pools make me feel as if I'm sinking (I can get that playing the trumpet too BTW).

I have found a pool with a 1.2 metre (4 foot) deep lane, and I walk briskly. It does wonders for my lower back - for anybody who suffers such problems, and I'm astounded how much of a sweat I develop just pushing through the water - don't forget your water bottle. I also try to walk at least 30 mins per day, good for fitness (body and mind), good for the lower back, good for the weight program, good for the blood pressure, good for the missus as I'm out of the house for a while too. In essence, good for coughs, colds, sore holes and pimples on the ... oh never mind. :oops:

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Workouts are a job requirement for me, but I don't mind - one of the benefits of joining the Navy is getting to go to the gym for free, as well as time built into the work schedule to get there! I always play better when I excersize regularly - it helps the endurance, but also helps to alleviate a lot of stress. I really don't enjoy the pool that much so I usually stick to the elliptical machine and free weights, but I also try to go skating as much as possible. I LOVE both rollerblading and ice skating, so it never seems like work, and puts a big smile on my face :)

RobertSlotte likes this.
  6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well my experience with most trumpet players is that most of them are fat and can not get out of the way of their own shadow. Anyone that suffering from weak third finger to the point that it is affecting their playing has serious issues. They tend to be girly mean and can not or will not change a tire on the side of the road to save their life let alone to get a phone number from a hot looking woman. They tend to suffer from two much thinking and not enough doing usually because they fear making a mistake. I am the way I am because of 20 years of Army in my blood. Their is a time for thinking and a time for acting and if you wait until you have all the fact's you are usually a day late and a dollar short or people die! Repetition works for anyone it is the lowest possible denominator for learning a new skill. I think the Armies of the world have proven that time and time again. From the time of the Romans all the way up through today repetition has ruled the day for learning a skill. In fact the better everyone knows their job and job of the rest of the guys around them the smoother things run in almost all jobs and work place environments. Same things goes for math nothing drills it into your head like repetition, chemistry is the same way, sport's more of the same repetition get's it done. Obviously at some point once one has a command of the basic's then they can start deviating from the norm's but far too often people do not have the basic's down and they want to try and reinvent the wheel. Anyone that does not understand repetition and how it affects motor neuron training and the development of new synaptic pathways and the creation of new motor unit and recruitment patterns has no idea how their brain learns and builds links. I happen to know some of the finest teacher’s that have lived and while they are all Instructors for the Military they produce results that win war’s and bring young men home alive. All of my Music teacher’s also preached repetition as the key to mastery of skill’s. Obviously idea’s and concepts can be grasped quickly and easily in one brief conversation but mastery of a skill or a particular piece of music does not come with out lot’s of practice and anyone that say’s other wise is not being honest. Very few people can learn a piece of music in one sitting. I can get all the notes right after only hearing a piece one time but it takes some time for me to get the phraseing right. I am not the norm in fact I do not know anyone other then my Dad that can do that. I am sure I inherited that skill from him so it is not because I am good or anything like that. I am the first to admit that I had to practice like mad. It paid off though for me and that is all I am going to say on that issue. Unlike many I did not quite because I was not offered work or anything like that. I quite because my heart was not in it and I started to dread playing what everyone else wanted me to play as they wanted it played. I have always had a non-conformist streak a mile wide with reguards to music and at time authority two….When music became too much like work and no longer was fun it was time for me to go. That is not a problem for me know since I have been gone far to long to ever have to worry about working in the industry. I do not have to worry about all the back stabbing or the arrogant snob’s and the ego show’s and drama. I definitely do not have to try to be someone or something I am not.

You actually crack me up. You are so transparent with your attempts to quietly jab me in the ribs are just comical to the extreme. No doubt you are a knowledgeable man when it comes to music. You lack good character and humility though. You think a little bit too much of yourself and you definitely think you are the best thing to come around since sliced bread. I would argue that you’re not half as smart as you think you are. You are definitely 1 dimensional in your thinking. You are also not very creative in your attacks. Again I say the title definitely did not make you a better man in fact. There are people on this site that can not play because of degenerative health issues that where completely preventable with diet and exercise. My post was about helping those people. How many people do you think globally have a pool easily at their disposal? Making time to go to the pool is just as big of an inconvience as making time to go to the gym? What I proposed required no equipment and could be done in the comfort of ones home where no one could make you feel uncomfortable. How many people do you think have access globally to a heated pool? I can tell you that in my area there are three with in 100 miles and they are all High School gyms and they do not let outsider’s come their to swim. You have to be a student and you have to be on the swim team. There are no commercial gym’s with a pool and the public pools are out doors and unheated. I know in Europe it is common to have swimming facilities and lot’s of mass transit but that is not the norm globally.

P.S. Since you have the charcter of a porcipine I have to ask do you give money to this board or are you a business owner that sponsors the board? You definately are not a people person so I would love to know how you got the job of a moderator?

RobertSlotte likes this.
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Easy solution - rather than give ROWUK a heated serve for trying to help - hop into your loungeroom and lift a heavy book - nobody will be watching - only kidding. Seriously though, I feel for you that you don't have access to a pool - that is NOT the norm for me so I tend not to think in terms of those of you somewhat less fortunate. Consider the things that you do have that some of the rest of us don't. Look for the positive if you can, because I honestly don't think that anyone was having a shot at you - particularly ROWUK. (Just imagine if you lived, like I do, in a great brown land full of spiders and snakes - strangley, even the spiders like the swimming pools here). Thanks too for the advice on the books.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lovevixen,
    please note: no editing, deleting or public reprimand although your post was brought to my attention with the post report feature.

I think we just got off on the wrong foot. It could also be that our styles are not compatible.

Yes, I do have the character of a porcupine. I get to the point and the BSers get to know me quite intimately.

You may be in the wrong forum though. The percentages of positive comments and postings to the handful of criticism (funny enough only 4 or 5 posters) show that maybe I am not doing so poorly.

I was asked to become a moderator and do not need to pay for the opportunity to offer tried and true advice. I have never banned anybody and only needed to perform some minor editing services when things got out of hand.

Be sure that I will exercize the same freedom that you do in an open internet forum. The nature of my comments is proportional to my interpretation of the post. I do not believe in political correctness and will call the shots as I see them.

What about some other opportunities to improve the physical health of the trumpet player? My experience does not show "generally fat" or lazy.

9. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"My experience with athletic trumpet players has not been good (I've had a couple of students throughout the years). My observations: a too physical approach to playing, a too simplistic approach to solving problems, very low level of humility - they often just did not listen. Amazingly, there was deficiencies in reading and writing too so the only teaching approach that worked was TONs of repetitions." -rowuk

What you say makes sense Robin. Trainning of any kind will promote an increase in testosterone levels. Which may have contributed to your sense of these two students. When you say "amazingly"- are you being sarcastic?

I gathered you felt their apparent inability to follow your methods and style of teaching, contributed to needful repetition? You see my meaning, yes. That could be seen as politically incorrect inference, of 'dumb jocks'.. at play.

_________

And incidentally Robin, i think you're doing a fine job here. Truly. -Course you well realize i say that knowing i wouldn't last ten seconds, in one of your classes. :)

-

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chris,
    sarcasm is not one of the tools normally in my writing style.

I would generally think that a person capable of enough determination to be classified as a jock AND tackle a difficult instrument like the trumpet should be above average in other areas too. I always find larger "deficits" amazing, considering all of the psychological "advances" that have been made. Perhaps it is the same as trumpet players over the centuries: some got it, many others didn't. Those that didn't seem to have made the most noise. That tradition is held upright even today. Maybe there is some room for sarcasm here?

In any case, EVERY musician will be doing themselves a favor by finding some source of regular motion above and beyond the trip to the fridge! A diet coke does not qualify as doing something healthy for onesself!