World Orchestra for Peace

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by JackD, Aug 27, 2005.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I was lucky enough to be sitting in just about the best seat in the house for tonight's prom - the World Orchestra for Peace & Gergiev playing Scheherazade, among other things.

Wow, what an ensemble!!!

All but 2 of the first violins are concert masters or leaders in just about every major orchestra ... Manny I believe there was a trombone playing colleague of yours from the MO playing (who sounded amazing, by the way!)

And George Vosburgh nailed that part to the roof. Amazing stuff!

Put me in a great mood, anyway!

2. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Hi Jack....I caught the tail end of the performance on TV ...I thought the orch were fantastic...any idea who the trumpet players were? I have always loved Scheherazade...even the brass band arrangement is great. :D

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    George Vosburgh was playing principal on Scheherazade, with Tomoyuki Hashizume playing second. They swapped around parts, so all 3 players played principal on at least one piece. I can't recall the name of the other player, but they all sounded fantastic.

I thought it was interesting they were all playing Cs, too.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Tomoyuki Hashizume looked, to me anyway, to use to different instruments during the performance - I could have sworn it was a Bb on Schererazade.

5. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Correct: a Bb on Scheherezade and Meistersinger Prelude - at least in the Berlin concert. :-)

6. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    It was a Bb trumpet, next to a C. I recorded it.

7. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.