Worried about my front teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FutureBC, Jul 30, 2010.

1. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Hello all,

My band camp just ended and after playing around 12 hours a day in a range from high G to high C, I'm a bit worried about my left front tooth.

Dont worry everyone, I know how to play in that range. I have not pressed my mouthpiece against my teeth uncomfortably like some do. In fact, we had a lesson on how to use your abdominals in high range and its been working wonders.

But after a while of playing, my left front tooth hurts badly. like a lot of pressure is on it, even though I double check my horn to make sure its not pressing on my mouth. Does anyone know what I could do to help this? I've never had dental issues, cavities, or braces. I just dont want to go too far and loose the tooth on the side that my horn naturally plays on.

Thanks guys!

2. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    It may be natural stress while playing. I had issues something like that, my dentist attributed it to sensitivity. But, you need to see yours, just in case. Take your horn if you have to. Get him to listen before you do damage to your embochure trying to avoid pain.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Maybe you are using too much MP pressure. My left front tooth is fake but I felt this in the past when I was using too much pressure.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Make sure you are not pressing too hard. All the upper lip needs to do is seal and vibrate. If you are not go visit your dentist.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is easy to fix that. Reduce your playing from 12 to a healthy 4 hours and everything goes back to normal.

I don't care how good ANY player is, pro or not. Band camp wastes your face, which is fine for that short period. We learn a lot, have a great time and go home with chops that are incredible.

The problem is that there is no real time to regenerate mind, soul or body and we have tap into the deep dark reserves to get through. Your tooth is one symptom.

I say don't worry about it for a couple of weeks. Get back to a realistic lower impact program and the tooth will calm down. That tooth is traumatized and only wants some TLC. Soft toothbrush and gentle circular motions when brushing will also help calm things down.

6. FutureBC

FutureBC Pianissimo User

Jul 25, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks rowuk. I think I'm just gonna relax the playing for the few days i'm off. If it starts hurt more, I'll see my dentist.

And the camp is over, so, I can go back to my normal practice routine. Thanks for the advice everyone!