Worried: Cannot play G

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jerec576, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    common sense,you don"t worry about peak output after running a marathon.I don:t see nothing wrong with doing your DT fairly early into your practice while everything is fresh,but don"t beat yourself up because your top note is weak afterwards.Your headed for dissapointment.Cheers to your drive and motivation,slow down and enjoy the ride.

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    This may be how Ms. Jensen practices NOW, but it may not be how she achieved her current abilities

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    "Keep the focus on the music - rhythmic timing, intonation, hearing intervals, etc - not on banging out technical drills."

Maybe that was some of the problem with my range building excercises. I could also improve the mental state of my playing though. At this point it's probably best for me to focuss less on the range and more on the playing and see how much of the range comes naturally.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,
    there is nothing wrong with focussing on developing specific skills during a practice session. When I am playing my Irons lip flexibilities it is sometimes hard to convey an incredible musical line.

My gripe with the thread owner is that without a minimum of endurance and range, wasted themselves on a couple of articulation studies. We pointed the road to success and then they start to argue.

This is the difference between a real lesson and the internet. In a lesson when you teach to a brick wall, you send them home - they just wasted $30.00-$50.00. If these kids are so bright, then they need to post about their successes, not disasters. If not, they need to ask for advice then try it. If it doesn't work then we can follow up what else is wrong.

I have no problem with "other" methods and criticism as long as there is a bit of common sense to back it up. That was sorely lacking!

5. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    What i meant is that I can still make a beautiful soft tone on the top A and have no problems tonguing the low A. Outside of that range my proficiency goes down (I lose focus playing below the A in sense of I always tend to losen up the chops below that to the point where i lost my emboucher. A habit I am trying hard to break.
    Note; Today I do not have that issue. I warmed up to vigorously yesterday I would imagine, but I am not sure. Tommarow im consulting with my teacher on that.

As for Rowuk, I probably needed a slap in the face and I thank him for it.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I never slap anybody in the face. My kids did get a spanking every once in a while however.

Jerec,
    what you think about your playing is not what people on the receiving end think. That I can guarantee you. The sooner that you wake up and realize how weak your playing really is, the sooner you will be in the improve mode. There is nothing more dangerous than content.

My 10 year old beginning students do not have your embouchure problems after only 6 months of lessons. You are doing something seriously wrong and need help. Stop BSing around and get help.

7. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I, personally, find it odd that you should have an embouchure problem down there, if you can play a written middle C then anything below it (if you have been playing a reasonable amount of time) shouldn't be an issue as it's all 'on the valves'.

Nick

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This problem is quite common when the embouchure and breathing are messed up. If you play with a lot of body "tension" those notes below the staff just don't want to come out.

The clear picture from Jerecs first post told me how messed up things really are. Otherwise I would not have taken such a firm stand.

9. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Update, I do have a private instructor to be clear on that, and have run down my problems addressed here, he was quick to say that my air tunnel is not as relaxed as it should be and has given me exercises focusing on playing on the bottom of the staff at different volumes keeping the note.
    I had done an exercise similar before but only at the low C.

As for the embouchure, it was almost immediate that he had me reform my embouchure shape. He said that during my lip flexibilities, i was changing my embouchures hold as opposed to tightening the middle area of it.

The description is vague so to better put it my embouchure went from " <O>" to "<<o>>" and strentched.

Ironically enough; im now having to do a strict regiment of Maggio exercises and that embouchure. Currently; I lost a lot of upper range but my tone is more controlled.

He told me that this problem is very common for trumpet players in my age and position and that he had a similar story./ Point was is that I never truly learned to play with a STRICT SET EMBOUCHURE and I had developed really terrible tendencies over my summer vacation.