Worrisome Discoloration and DIY Hole Plugging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by vc44, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yes, as you work a dent out of a crook, the crook opens up and has to be brought back in.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you were in U.S. I'd likely give you a go at it. Too, excuse me but it is a cornet, not a trumpet, just a student quality Conn Director 975XXX that I'd like to keep as it was first instrument on my comeback in 2006. The slide emerges straight out from the valve casing and has a reinforcement plate on the outside of crook that looks original (as if expecting a ding on it). Sure enough it was dinged and apparently quite hard as this plate shows it also, but seemingly no visual damage into the valve casing and the valve itself moves freely. There are other minor dings throughout. The last time I played it was in early July 2008 it sounded OK, but I'd expect with its age a PVA is overdue and and ultra sound cleaning would be recommended. My other cornet is a Getzen. Note: extreme health and dental issues prevent my playing anything at present. Last given good soaking bath and lube / oil on December 15th 2010 and scheduled for another on January 15th 2011.

3. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Whoever fixed this for you used WAY TOO MUCH heat....I think the discoloration may be permanent. I'd find a competent brass tech to do the job again...properly.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That discolouration isn't from too much heat. It is from chemical cleaning.
    If it was from too much heat, the lacquer would be black and charred, which is clearly is not.
    To get the actual brass to change colour would require a large torch and temperatures enough to anneal the metal, which would cause the rest of the horn to fall apart as the other solder joints melt.