Worth it?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by AndrewK, Feb 18, 2005.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    I need some advice folks. I have an older Holton T602 which I can still make very good music on, but, the leadpipe is needing replacement as it is corroding a bit. (The rest of the horn is fine though, laquer is about 90%, not bad for the age) Is it worth it for me to have the leadpipe changed to a larger bore copper leadpipe? A custom made one will cost me about $250 CAD installed. Or, am I better off just using that money towards a new horn?

Thanks for any advice and feedback!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm not sure I would put a lot of money into a student or intermediate model horn. It is what it is and if you can't get a replacement pipe without having to spend a lot of money, I wouldn't do it. We aren't talking Blackburn here, we are talking about using the leadpipe off of a horn that the instrument repair guy has that he uses for parts.

$100? Maybe.

$250? I think your money would be better spent on something else.

Just my 2¢

3. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I would find another shop - $250 is a lot of money for a standard lead pipe. Maybe I'm just lucky and have an excellant tech who isn't trying to buy a new car every time I walk through the door. You may have a rare horn that plays great - I played a kid's beat up Bach Mercedies that was the most open and best playing Bach next to my Mt. V. that I had ever seen. You never know what the factory will put out on any day. old geezer Dave

4. brassdude

brassdude New Friend

Feb 17, 2005
    Colorado
    Holy Cow Dude,

That seems like a lot of money for a beginner's horn. You could probably acquire a decent 602 on eBay for $100. And that was $250 Canadian?

A decent intermediate Yamaha, which is probably a step up from the 602 would only cost $500 or $600 USD. That is not far from what you are planning on putting up for a leadpipe.

It seems you have some options ...

5. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    I have a Holton collegiate and it is a great playing horn. I would contact a few different places to see what they say. As for the $$... if you like the horn don't let anyone tell you it is not worth it. It is becoming a common thing for people to get "student" horns and have them customized. If they play great and meet your needs than it does not matter what it says on the bell.
    Here are a few links...
    http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/
    http://www.charliesbrassworks.com/
    Also contact Kanstul.. they do great work at a great price.

6. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Thanks for the advice, basically my only reason for going with this guy is because he is local so I can take it there myself. He actually creates the leadpipe itself to whatever specs I would require, taper, bore, etc.... but still it's like you guys said, I am probably better off just purchasing a new horn. I am seriously thinking about a Zeus Olympus ( I think that is the correct spelling) I'll keep you all posted!

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    A high-quality leadpipe can do wonders for a horn, but for that horn? I'm not too sure on that one. Have you tried one of his leadpipes on your horn? Does it seem to make a real difference?

About new horns, be sure and check out Kanstuls at ibowtie.com or pickmusic.net. I own a 1503 from pickmusic, and can tell you their service is impeccable.

Also, check out Felix's inventory of European horns at newyorktrumpetcompany.com. The Evola plays like a Strad 43, but softer (I thought the lightweight Strad was a bit TOO crisp), and costs the equivalent of the ZeuS Guarnerius.

Van