Worth of a "Church" Recording

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, this fellow I went to high school with recently was given a Recording, and now wants to sell it to me.
    "Why?" I asked, questioning his sanity for wanting to sell such a good horn and use his P.O.S. Blessing student model again.
    "Well, I blew out the bell."

No freaking joke, he blew a hole IN THE BELL. ARRRGHHH! Now, I am wondering how much I should ask for it. He said he would take no less than $300, but I don't know or really think I should pay that much for something I can't even play, not to mention the fact that there could be other problems in the horn (Maybe the whole damned horns a junker), AND there would be quite a heft cost involved in replacing the bell.

Damn, I'm glad I can actually speak with people who know things like this.. :)

Van

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm, how the [email protected]#$ do you blow a hole in the bell? I knew they were open blowing horns, but man!

First, I'd have him show you the horn (if he hasn't already). Are the valves good? How about the finish? Slides work ok? Fit on the parts good? If the answer to those questions is yes, then I'd give him the 300. Then I'd ship it to someone like Leigh and let him have fun with it, mainly fixing the bell and any other minor stuff that needed to be done.

Can you get a pic of the bell on here? I mean, this is just driving me insane. I gotta see this.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Probably a hole in the bell from red rot.

I'd stay away from it at any cost (except free). If he is willing to play a Blessing instead, save your money. Sounds like he wants to unload a formerly nice horn on you.

Just my opinion.

Jim

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The reason he wants to unload it is he can't afford to fix it....

I plan on stopping by tomorrow and getting a pic for you guys (I figure its red rot, too). I most definitely dont plan on spending anything over $100, since like Mr. Suska said today, the bell of the recording was the most endearing part of that horn.

I was shocked, since the last time I played on the horn, it seemed just fine to me.

How can I see if the other parts of the horn have red rot?

Van

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The easy answer to the red rot question is, if the bell has it, you can bet the rest of the horn does. You could pull the slides and valves and look. A tech could tell fairly easily.

I am not sure how you fix the bell without getting another bell. It could be patched, but that has to affect the sound. Perhaps you should post that questions on the "repair" board.

Jim

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Michael,

I havent forgotten your request. I will be in Carthage tomorrow evening after my marching practice to work out schedules with my new students (*Dancing*). I'll get your pictures (And I'll also check the valves, etc. for evidence of red rot), don't worry.

Van

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    hey man, no rush :)

8. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I'm thinking that if the heavy-weight, thick, high-copper content (and therefore more resistant to red rot) Olds Recording bell has a hole in it, there's got to be more wrong with the rest of the horn. I'd pass.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, I plan on taking a sedative before meeting with him to view the horn, so I don't break his ****ing neck.... :evil:

Why is it, when people get exactly what they want, they take it for granted, and <blank> it up? Gar.... The Recording was in such good condition when I played on it, and he had that puppy GIVEN to him! Is it that hard to clean something every now and then? Maybe get a chem clean?

Geh, you should see the shape of his Blessing (The bell flare is bent in, like an art deco piece...)

Van

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN