Worth playing anymore?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tri, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Tri

Tri New Friend

Nov 27, 2014
    Dear Trumpetmaster,

I have recently (over the course of the last year) lost the ability to tongue. No matter what I do, my tongue locks up and I cannot put air through the instrument. I have been using air attacks and K-tonguing, and now I am 100% reliant on K-tonguing to articulate. Does anyone know a solution to this? The more I think about it, the worse it gets, the point of where thinking about fixing it makes me lock up.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Seems that you need some serious help. As I am no medical man, I cannot try and find anything in that line that might be helpful - Gary might kow of something. At any rate, it seems to me that you have been overdoing things (in every sense, not just trumpetwise). You might benefit from a visit to your nearest orthobionomy therapist.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't think anyone can suggest a solution on this forum without more information and probably a face-to-face evaluation.

It's unclear whether you need the help of a good teacher or a good doctor, or maybe both.

Mike

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Can you articulate a T consonant in speech? You might consider using the technique advocated by Claude Gordon where the tip of your tongue is anchored where the lower teeth meet the gums and articulate the t and k with the tongue anchored.

Another thing to try is to blow "Whoo" (yawn and sigh) through a tube (your leadpipe) and add the tHooo, thoo, tHoo after the air is started. Then try the same routine actually buzzing a pitch on the leadpipe (with mouthpiece) or on the horn. This comes from Arnold Jacobs

5. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Get a banjo?