Would Deep Heat (muscle rub) work on lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackC, Mar 30, 2013.

1. JackC

JackC New Friend

Aug 30, 2012
    This could and probably will sound like a ridiculous question but I was thinking of ways to soothe a lip after a hard practice or gig and thought of Deep Heat! Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or just know that it will somehow eat you from the inside out?

Expecting a few people calling me an idiot so go ahead

2. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    That probably depends, is "Deep Heat" some type of pain relief ointment or something?

3. JackC

JackC New Friend

Aug 30, 2012
    Ah I apologise I'm from the UK so Deep Heat may not be in the United States

it's a heat rub for muscles which is mostly used for cramps and muscle tenderness after rigorous sports playing
    did some googling and apparently the American equivalent is "IcyHot"

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Nasty stuff to put on mucous membranes. A hot shower massaging the muscles works well, as does Carmex. Playing some low impact things can increase blood flow and relaxation.

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    In the old days us rugby players would flick that stuff (deep heat) at each others unmentionables - for the torture value. I'd hate to see what it would do to lips!!!

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    after a hard evening of playing I found that ChopSaver does the trick. My chops feel great in the morning. I would advise against using ChopSaver before playing.

7. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I have found that if i use ChopSaver it feels as if my lips cant buzz or vibrate right at all for several days. I do however like Burt's beeswax as a lip treatment. It seems to help heal the lips well as far as the outermost later of the skin. If I'm truly worn out then the only thing that can really help it is to take a day or two off!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    carmex works for me for protecting the lips ---- occasionally if I really push too hard on any given day -- a little cold treatment (ie. ice in a towel, or preferably a slow cold drink on the lips) -- and then some massaging --- then the next day or two, some soft, easy playing with the trumpet ---------------------or in my case I double on a trombone, so the bigger mpc works wonders for "relaxing" and reducing trumpet fatigue!!

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I cannot think of anything I would not want to put on my lips any more than I would not want Deep Heat on my lips. I'll let one of the docs weigh in on the toxic ingredients in Deep Heat, but I think it would be quite painful and tast incredibly nasty. A little cold, a little massage, maybe a little quality lip balm and you should be all set to go.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    personally I was looking into the Cindy Bradley lip massage therapy ((Official Website: Cindy Bradley)) --- but can't seem to get her to call me back!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL