Would Deep Heat (muscle rub) work on lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackC, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My concoction to relieve sore lips is ingestable as well as being still kissable. I just squish some anhydrous lanolin into a dab of aloe gel and apply with a bit of massage at night when I go to bed. Mostly, I can do without the massage ... I said I was still kissable.

2. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    I've never heard such a ridiculous question. If deep heat makes the stronger muscles feel as hot as hell, can you possibly imagine it on your lips?

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hey, another lanolin user, that stuff works on everything, it's like the duct tape of the brass world! I use it for a lip balm, mix some of that, some vitamin E, vaseline all together, put it on before bed and you wake up with baby soft lips.

Edit: I also have this same mixture with arnica gel in it too for hard days of playing

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, you certainly could add vitamin E to my concoction but forget the vaseline (it's not on my menu to ingest).

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I wouldn't eat it, but it does wonders on the lips!

6. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    I use Arnica cream for the muscles in my cheeks, on those days when I have overdone it. It is great stuff for muscle pain and is completely natural too. Do not ingest it though!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Go natural... No creams... no topicals... All you need is concentrated massage to get blood flow into the lip. If you feel swelling, sucking on ice can help minimize the swelling.

Do not use chemicals intended for skin on the lips. They are mucous membranes and have enhanced absorption power. All that is absorbed by-passes first pass liver flow and goes directly into central circulation. This is why a physician asks a patient to put nitroglycerin under the tongue and not to swallow.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My father played basketball in the early 1930's and they got their rub-downs on a balcony overlooking the gym. Somebody poured a topical rubefacient heat rub down the crack of his fanny, and he leaped over the balcony and was off to the showers.

I preferred cute flute or saxophone players back in the day. Organic, as opposed to violists.