Would Håkan have made £30 in Birmingham Town centre?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Golfer, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I took the opportunity to see HÃ¥kan Hardenberger with Colin Currie (Percussionist) in concert at The Barber Institute Birmingham University England.
    Although I could have made the trip without an overnight stay (Birmingham is only 90 miles from my home in Liverpool) I decided to go by train and stay for a couple of days, as I had worked in Birmingham for a couple of years during the early 1980’s and could do some reminiscing.
    The concert consisted of the following pieces:

Dialogo 4 for Trumpet & Percussion by Daniel Bortz

Fire over Water from ‘I Ching’ for Solo Percussion by Per Norgaard

Lucid Intervals for Trumpet & Percussion by Dave Maric

INTERVAL

Paths for Solo Trumpet by Toru Takemitsu

Woodpecker for Solo Percussion by Louis Andriessen

Heptade for Trumpet & Percussion by Andre Jolivet

I had not heard any of the pieces before and would describe them as unusual, mainly technical in content and certainly for the connoisseur. The standard of playing by both performers was top class as you would expect.

Now to explain my Title!
    During the afternoon of the concert, I did some window shopping in Birmingham city centre. As with most city centres in the UK the shopping centre has its share of malls and most of the roadways are paved for pedestrian use only. These wide and pleasant walkways are ideal for street musicians to entertain (or not) the shopping public.
    There was a group of South American Pan-pipers who played Ennio Morricone’s haunting ‘Once upon a time in America’. There was a Saxophonist playing some Jazz. The group that got most of my attention was two male trumpeters and a female Trombonist who I found out later were studying at Birmingham University. They were playing Christmas carols and during a pause in their playing and after putting some money in the ‘hat’ I congratulated them on their playing and mentioned I was going to the Hardenberger concert that evening. They told me they were attending the concert as well.
    That evening during the Concert intermission I had a further chat with the two young trumpeters discussing Haken Hardenbergers performance.
    We all agreed his playing was top notch, however we noted the following:
    His facial expression suggested to us that he was using significant pressure whilst playing.
    During some of the slower phrases, He was using the middle parts of his fingers when operating the valves.
    When playing some of the pieces He used an elastic band to aid the retraction of the third slide.
    I asked them how they had done financially for their street concert and they informed me that they made £30 ($50) each for the couple of hours that they were playing. I made the observation that I didn’t think Haken would have made that much if he had performed some of the pieces he was playing that night, in the city centre the next day. This gave them a good chuckle.
    Later that evening back at the Hotel whilst having a late supper and a half bottle of Red, I pondered whether the reason that Chris Botti is probably the best known and most (financially) successful trumpeter today is that he has concentrated on what the vast majority of music listeners want to hear. That is the musical melody’s that move them and or lift their sprits, and that they care little about technical content.

Trumpet-Golfer

2. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Re: Would Haken have made £30 in Birmingham Town centre?

Trumpet-Golfer

Not sure what your point is on this. Hakan is a great trumpet player. As for pressure, whatever he is doing works, whatever he is doing with is fingers works. I think he would have made more than 50 bucks!

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Bottom line!!!!!!

-cw-

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

TG,
    that question has the potential to get some flames.
    Conjecture gets us nowhere, comparing a media driven player to one of THE LEADING ARTISTS is a non-issue.

For those that are content with Chris Bottis music, fine. Hakan makes his living stretching the musical envelope and passing that knowledge on to his students. He is a very sought after teacher. I consider that to be the real issue. Real success is never how much money you make, it is how many lives that you have touched and perhaps lead to a higher state. Hakans students will be leaders in the next generation of cutting edge players.

I know that I would not be content with the knowledge that listeners find my playing to be great "background music".

This is no cut on Chris Botti. He is a great player making his way. He is definitely not cutting edge anything however.

Back to the original premise: I pulled out a Hakan album from when he was 16 - playing the Carnival of Venice and a CD with the Telemann Concerto. Yes, he could make money ANYWHERE.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA

yes... Hakan is an incredible artist and people would be attracted to his music regardless if they understood it or not. He transcends the music and the trumpet.

-T

PS: I flew 1000 miles to go see Hakan play for 20 minutes in January. I would pay 300 dollars to see him play outside in the park playing Clarke #1.

6. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005

I pulled out a Hakan album from when he was 16 - playing the Carnival of Venice

What album is that?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. Trumpet-Golfer

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England

In hindsight I should have investigated just what he was going to play at the concert. I (wrongly) assumed he would play some classic pieces (like Haydn’s Trumpet concerto)
    I would guess that 99.9% of the people in the shopping centre that day or indeed 99.9% of people in any shopping centre anywhere would know Haken Hardenberger from Adam. I didn’t know him from Adam until 18 months ago and I’ve been engrossed in trumpet music for the last two and a half years!
    The point I was trying to make was that Joe public wouldn’t be aware of the technical content of the pieces Haken played that night. None of the pieces would have hooked them in to stop and listen.
    I’m well aware that Haken Hardenberger is considered one of the best trumpeters in the world. That’s why I took the opportunity to see him live.

Trumpet-Golfer

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire

Hakan Hardenberger or Lang Lang, Tasmin Little who cares! When it comes to "Artistes" the audience decides the value of the person. For example Hardenberger is a much more valuable artist in Darmstadt Music festival or the Proms, than Glastonbury. It is the same reason that i would happily pay top dollar to see Hardenberger, but would never donate a t**d or my hard earned money to go and watch some overhyped media act like Paul MacCartney, or his populist likes!

If you want to look at it a different way, i don't think Macca, Kylie Minogue, or Robbie Williams would earn there bus fare at Darmstadt.

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire

Hakan Hardenberger or Lang Lang, Tasmin Little who cares! When it comes to "Artistes" the audience decides the value of the person. For example Hardenberger is a much more valuable artist in Darmstadt Music festival or the Proms, than Glastonbury. It is the same reason that i would happily pay top dollar to see Hardenberger, but would never donate a t**d or my hard earned money to go and watch some overhyped media act like Paul MacCartney, or his populist likes!

If you want to look at it a different way, i don't think Macca, Kylie Minogue, or Robbie Williams would earn there bus fare at Darmstadt.

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

10. Trumpet-Golfer

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England

B.U.M wrote:
    "If you want to look at it a different way, I don't think Macca, Kylie Minogue, or Robbie Williams would earn their bus fare at Darmstadt"
    I can see where you’re coming from B.U.M

A couple of years ago Paul McCartney & Sting won awards at the Classic Brit’s
    At least Paul Mc’ apologised to Katherine Jenkins (the Mezzo soprano) as she was up for the same award.
    Sting winning a Classic Brit Award! Your having a laugh. The panel must have been all middle-aged female Police fans!

Trumpet-Golfer