Would playing ability suffer if you don't practice on performance days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    Would also it suffer if you do not practice on rehearsal days? By "performance days," I mean a gig, band competition, etc. By "rehearsal days," I mean an ensemble band practice or something like that. I'm asking because I sometimes do not get home before dark on competition days. Sometimes I do not want to practice after a 2+ hour rehearsal. In that case, is it fine to practice for less than I would normally?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The highest level of practice consistency offers the highest level of playing consistency.

The word "suffer" is not absolute. If you normally practice less than 2 hours per day, not practicing after a 2 hour rehearsal won't change much. On the other hand, if you are trying to build extreme upper register but are playing 3rd in a wind band, you may notice a bit more.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    How long of a warm up routine do you do on those days?
    If you don't.. you should ..
    +1 Robin ... depends on your book

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Don't forget, even playing at competitions and rehearsals is a form of practice. I see more than one post on CD where it seems the poster thinks of their playing as "made of glass". By that I mean, they seem to think the slightest variation in routine, whether it's amount of time practiced, actual content of practice, etc. will be ruinous. The mind/body just doesn't work that way, especially muscle-memory (as an example, I hadn't played a sax in probably 20 yrs. One day I decided to go into a music store and give one a try. Bingo, scales were still there, chromatics and everything, though a bit slower). Point is, if you practice fairly consistently, and fairly smartly, not practicing one or two days, or varying your content a bit, isn't going to ruin anything. In fact it may even help, so that you're not always stressing out about missing a couple minutes here and there.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Adolph Herseth had an amazing work ethic and wrote that he would practice hard on easy days (Mozart and such) and practice easy on hard days (Mahler and such). If you know your chops and are sensitive to the level of fatigue you'll self-adjust. The younger a player is, the less recovery time is required--warming up you can feel the stiffness leave the chops after a hard day before. (In college I once put in a seven hour day before a band rehearsal--the conductor heard it in my sound and asked if I was tired. I told him yes, and the hours I'd put in, and he was cool with that.)

As we age, the recovery time gets longer, but when we "pay our dues" during our youth we acquire experience enough and wisdom to pace ourselves--backing off the day before and the day of the important gig, and knowing which ones are the important gigs, and the required skill sets, as Satchmo Brecker mentioned, don't disappear.

Have fun!