Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hugger?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Per the title of this thread I also play a Conn Artist "chest huggin" bell forward euphonium that puts my ear close to the feedback of sound, much as Dizzy preferred. I can't perceive of any rational why a trumpet couldn't also be, but that's not sayin' such has a bonafide technical reason to oppose such. Knowing it to be smaller than my euphonium I can't a problem when seated or standing. Sure be better than making the traditional baritones and euphoniums in a trumpet configuration or even the mellophone. Yeah, when the bursitis and arthritis in the shoulders of the aged act up, playing with a trumpet configuration isn't always a pleasure.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Re: Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hug

Its a valid point there are however a few pertinent thoughts/objections to playing a trumpet coiled up like a euphonium:

1. Acoustical issues related to design not well understood until after making and testing a prototype.

2. Not macho enough.

As for me? I even object to the Dave Monette design. Too "p---y". Bad enough that Marsallis even started the whole thing off. When Maynard switched to one it broke my heart. His M/F Horn from Holton was a great ax. Not my cup of tea but at least it was usable and looked "tough". I could play a Holton M/F Horn and be happy. Not so with a Monette or a hypothetical euphonium-like trumpet. Utter embarrassments if you ask me. The standard B Flat trumpet design was good enough for Louis Arstrong? It's good enough for me. So why screw with it?

That said I wouldn't rule either idea (coiled euphonium trumpet or Monette style horn) out as a novelty. To get a few laughs at least. Maybe after my testosterone levels fall even lower I'll consider testing one or the other out.

I'm not even sure if even the slide trumpet or "Firebird" ax is butch enough.

All important considerations.

Also: If you need to put the horn closer to your ears in order to hear it? Not blowing loud enough.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Re: Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hug

With all horns that have a non bell front mechanism, you generally have a way to rest it on the thigh/knee when playing (except French horn, but that's a whole different bell back story). With a trumpet being so small, you can't rest it, and so you'd be holding the darn thing to your chest and up high. I don't know if I would really enjoy playing it that way.

Of course, you could always just have a bent leadpipe and rotary valves(because moving the valve block and tubing around it would be a pain), and you're well on your way to the idea you're talking about.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I think once you get a trumpet made in the configuration of a beer bong, then you're talkin'! Oh my, did this post just come from a physician?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Mark, in my lifetime I've played about all the brass inclusive of French horn and know their various configurations well. That said, if holding such would be a problem for you consider a holster such as many Brit military bands use with their bigger horns, and I had made for my euph.

6. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

I didn't know they made holsters, but it makes sense. Then that wouldn't be so bad in my book.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

They're not much more than canvas sling bags which are often emblazoned with insignia. The valve placement of the piston valves on my euph are as comfortable as laying my hand over my heart. Too, no pinky hook, but in lieu thereof is a thumb ring.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa

All valid points above. I have never considered myself old, BUT as I get more experienced (better term) I find that how I look to others is so much less important than how I see myself. Different configurations of tubing are sure interesting conversation starters and one can never have too many friends. I would be open to new ideas as long as I still had my trusty main ax by my side. I think such a radical design like this would take a long long time to catch on. Maybe thats for the best though....trumpet players are supposed to be tough as nails. Best wishes.

9. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

Sounds like someone needs to make a prototype!
    Maybe I can encourage one of my contacts to do that work for me on a cheap horn...

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA

There's a used upright flugelhorn on the Dillon Music website, but the link to the details is messed up so I can't give a URL.