Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hugger?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Dec 11, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hug

I think we see that there is little "REAL" interest. No player would pay for it. Dizzys horn was easier to hear because of the bracing arrangement. I worked with a German manufacturer many years back on the bent bell with in his opinion "better bracing". It was like playing a standard horn.

Local 357, I don't see what Monette has to do with this. It is merely another choice. It is not taking the trumpet world by storm and at 6 instruments a month, it will be a long time before Yamaha or Bach gets excited. Dave Monette has made it easier for other artisans to try and expand the box. No one is "stuck" with the traditional sound if they don't want to be. I have had a Monette in my stable for 14 years. I still play my Bach, Selmer, Holton, Getzen, rotaries, natural trumpets. No loss of perspective.

I really do like Wyntons live sound. I am not always happy with recordings of brass players. The audio engineers often try to make the trumpet something that it isn't - blended into the rest of the band.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Re: Would there be any interest in a trumpet made in the configuration of a chest hug

For now I only say such an abrupt design is feasable, not that it is practical. For sure I've no intent to make one, nor do I have a factory / shop to do so, even if I wanted to. "Real interest" occurs only when someone wants a product enough to pay for it regardless of cost.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Once way back during the age of Disco and John Travolta I had to wear a pink suit up on stage. Everyone in the band had to. Was our stage clothes.

Given a choice between playing a clumsy looking instrument like the Monette trumpet or wearing those suits again?

Give me a minute. I'm still thinking...

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

John Glasel, one of the founders of the brass quintet movement, and former president of Local 802 in New York had a flugelelhorn modified to look like a piccolo euphonium. He played it on the streets during strikes and at labor rallies. He sounded just fine on it, and his Relaxation Techniques for the Professional and Advanced Trumpeter has some wonderful exercises.

5. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey

[excuse me ... i think that your string runneth awry :D ]

i would be interested in playing one .. don't know that i'd place an advanced order, but i'd sure give it a go. .. why not?
    why not have the bell curve forward like a sousaphone instead of straight up like a euphonium? That way, you could still have forward projection?

Is your thought that it would be easier to play … more “intimate” for the player … or simply that you’re closer to the bell, you’d have better feedback?
    I would think that the playing position would eliminate some of the pressure issues that trumpeters, like me, have.

Another thought is that wouldn’t holding the trumpet in a euphonium kind of way, deaden the vibration; therefore, make the horn darker and have less projection? I wonder if it would become more flugel / cornet-ish than characteristically trumpet.

If you do decide to create on … and want some, Ahem, … CONSTRUCTIVE … feedback. I’m all in :-)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA

Sounds like we're looking for an Alto Horn in Bb. Maybe modify one to get it in key? I had fun dinkin around with one in the army band.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa

Exactly my point too. Thanks Robert. Right on.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY

Thanks for the thread, Ed.
    This is a wonderful idea:
    Bb soprano, Forward Bell, Front Action Pistons, Huggable.

I did a bit of work with King Altoniums (pitched in F), and these were really nice horns. I have also played around with tilting bells up (like the Getzen 900H - not Dizzy's bent at the valve cluster)

I am tempted to do something myself, but, at the moment, my resources are already thinly stretched.

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts

I may be wrong, but wasn't there something like an upright "over the shoulder" trumpet during the Civil War period?

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

A King Altonium in F? Huggable setup like baritones, euphoniums and tubas? I like the F key and now have and play Yamaha mellophone in F (marching French horn in trumpet configuration, albeit the tone varys from a true French horn IMO). The one advantage I see with my huggable euphonium and prior tuba is a clear veiw of my music stand without a neck twist. Still, I'm thinking of a trumpet Bb in the alternative huggable configuration with a forward bent bell, primarily for projection although it does provide improved feedback per the Dizzy concept.