Would this work?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Sturmbill, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    OK, here is a hypothetical question: Could you take an Olds Ambassaor cornet with a bore of .468, use the valve cluster and slides, and make a large bore Olds trumpet out of it using other Olds/Reynolds parts, ala the conversion done on Dave's Bach Trumpet Page (www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html)?

For all those who would say "why?", there is no reason that will satisfy other than just to see if it can be done. It would hopefully provide an Ambassador "experience", but in a large bore horn.

It is truly a gearhead exercise, but I wanted to see if anyone who knows Ambassadors can think of a problem big enough to scupper the project. I have done some preliminary measuring and it seems like it would work.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bill

2. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    I have started to do something similar but I am changing it into a C trumpet. I haven't heard of anyone doing the cornet to trumpet conversion on an Ambass but I have seen a Bach conversion. My project has been put aside while I am living in the UK so I can't really give much advice on how it goes. So it will work and you will get some flack for trying but go for it. Its more fun to make your own.
    From memory I think the valve casing height is taller on the cornet but not enough to worry.

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bill,

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a question...

Wouldn't you have quite a mix of bores using parts from "other" horns?

I know this may not be a bad thing, but I can't imagine that the change back and forth in bore sizes can't be all good... just curious.

.468 > .462 > .460 >.468

Rogerio

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Thanks, guys, for the input. After doing some more measuring I found out that the cornet's valve casing is somewhat taller than the trumpet's and the wrap of the bell and leadpipe would leave a pretty strange looking horn.

I had thought about the difference in bores, and had the project worked out I would have probably used an Olds Sonic leadpipe or a suitable Pilczuk replacement.

Oh, well, it was fun trying to work it out....

Thanks again for the advice!

Bill

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Any of the "tall wrap" Conn bells, like the 38B, would probably line up with the top of Ambassador cornet valve casings reasonably well. The other oddball component you'd need to find would be a tall tuning slide crook in a bore larger than the Conn .438 size.