Would you be tired?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    On Tuesdays to Saurdays I play all afternoon and all evening. On Sunday I play all morning and afternoon. On Monday I warm up, but dont really practice. What state would your lip be in throughout all of this? At which times would you be tired? My lip is tired a lot, and I'm wondering when the rest of the world is tired.

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Well from Tuesday to Saturday, how many hour are we talking here? You could just we over working yourself.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I have to play "all day" I discuss the human state with the conductor and all parties know that I am not going to kill myself. Only during performances do I give 120%.

So, to answer the question, I would be tired on those heavy days, but not beat up. The next day I would be fine. I would work hard on those off days to keep my chops VERY strong!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Learn how to pace yourself, never play to the point of exhaustion, the key word is pacing, if you learn to do this you can extend your playing time quite a bit.

5. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I mean from 2:30 to 5:50 and 7:30 to 10:00 with short breaks in between on Tuesdays to Saturdays. Is that considered a lot? Is it normal for your lips to feel nothing and "soggy"?

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is natural for the lips to feel nothing when they get trashed, but that is not "normal", it is dumb. Don't ever let ANYBODY force you to waste yourself!

My lips feel soggy after a long day, that has more to do with my rehydration program............

7. trmpt_plyr

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Does having your lips feel like nothing affect your playing?

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

Consider how your other muscles feel after working out in a gym with weight training. You would be advised to progress slowly and take a day off once in a while.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends what your normal playing sounds like.:shhh:

My lips NEVER feel like nothing.

Come on, You can figure that one out without our help.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    If your lips feel like they are internally buzzing, you have just gone over the line. No seious damage yet, but, definately time to take a break. For myself, I pace myself with segments of about 15 minutes of playing alternating with equal time periods of rest,like right now.

OLDLOU>>