Would you do anything different if you could rechoose your career?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Thunderchicken, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Yes. . . I would have become a timpanist. It's pretty hard to miss a note on those things as long as you're sober. :)

EC

2. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I could be a poster child for having a screwball career. After graduating from music school with a BME (IU 1983) I put myself through flight school by playing in several regional orchestras, gigging and teaching privately. While flying I kept up playing and teaching part time. Post 9/11 and bankruptcies have drastically changed a pilot career. The short story is that 20+ years later I'm back to gigging and teaching. Things are pretty bad when you leave an industry for the "stability" of freelancing as a musician.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    A cellist or pianist; journalist; lawyer; conductor; college professor; baseball player (if I were a guy); translator; mother.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    And the sad thing is that most people in the audience would not know if you missed a note on Timp :dontknow: , and in many cases they would have little idea if you were sober or not. :-o

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If I had to do something besides music because I wasn't physically able to I'd choose teaching some kinds of varied literature to High Schoolers. That would be incredible fun, I think, to watch kids experience a great piece of literature for the first time and be encouraged to understand why it's great.

ML

6. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    If I had it to do all over again I would do only one thing...
    I would live everyday like it was my last. I think whether or not you're a trumpeter, a lawyer, a ditch digger etc.... It's always better when you realize how lucky you are just to be here.
    Mellow drama now concluded!
    Peace
    Matt

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    After choosing to make music my life, I found it made me a living as well, and living at the top of the Maslow pyramid was a blast. After 25 years, some of the fun and the novelty wore off, and now I'm learning to help guys as the bottom of the Maslow pyramid, and this is a blast, too. If I had my druthers, though, I would have taken loads of steroids in high-school and become a professional wrestler.

8. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
    Vulgano Bro, your posts always crack me up.

Well, I'm a librarian (elementary school), and there's always talk of lopping our jobs due to budget cuts. Our school population is around 1,000 so being the only body, I'm working my tail off (though I'm always assured by admin that they would never think of cutting my position). There are smaller schools here that have already lost librarian positions or reduced to half-time, so it is by no means a stable job. Maybe I need to move to Minnesota!

On-topic, I would have loved to be a doctor, medical examiner, orchestra conductor, musician. In no particular order. But I've grown to appreciate kids, so I would probably be a music teacher again.

Liz

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    the jobs aren't in the schools, but the university, public, law, private, medical libraries.

10. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

FYI, they don't really start to smell until after you make the "T" cut.