would you rank maynard in top 10 of all-time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by youngmaynard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    I'm on this Bus as well!

2. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    With no doubt in my mind.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Maynard was a stellar player and gave a great deal. He influenced many in their playing. However, I am with Trant and Vulgano on this matter. There are too many terrific players who all contributed thier own voice. Ranking players makes me uncomfortable. I'd feel more comfortable with the simple idea that MF was a very important figure in the trumpet world. I was dissappointed in his "non-appearance" in the Ken Burns series, but I'll allow for the fact that Burns had bitten off more than he could chew in the Jazz series, and that many influential figures had to fall by the wayside in his treatise.

Ferguson had an impact that will last forever. He is part of music history. Not many can claim that.

Peace.

Nick

4. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    If I recall correctly, Herseth made this statement around 1984 or so in International Musician magazine. I have never forgotten it. Herseth has never thrown that kind of praise around lightly. It was an important statement.

Maynard did things that caused the trumpet world to change. Was he the best? I don't even care. He did a lot for a lot of people. He's on the list of the all time greats. Period.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amen.

6. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

2006 was a year that dealt jazz some of it's greatest loses. I lost several close friends and 2 of my heroes...Ray Barretto was a personal friend and mentor. Maynard was the the bigger then life trumpet super hero. I saw him so many times.....it was electrical....I always walked away feeling great about LIFE. He touched thousands of lives with his joyful music. It was so painful when he passed away.
    For me Dizzy, Miles, and Maynard were beyond category and again, bigger than life. Their passing leaves a void which can never be filled.
    Yes, Maynard gets MY VOTE!!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with Trent.

Our scope of "all of the great trumpet players" that ever were is pretty small. All I can say is that Mozarts' lead trumpet couldn't have been so hot - otherwise we would have gotten better parts. Haydn also only wrote one trumpet concerto - the rest of his stuff is natural trumpet in the lower octave. Ravel must have had a real monster - Bolero and Pictures - with NO piccolo trumpet available. Stravinsky, Bartok, Tschaikovsky, Wagner, Mahler, Br├╝ckner, Bernstein.......................
    You see how 10 or 15 "best" or most inspiring of all time is tough?
    What about the educators that didn't get first chair positions?
    From what I have read, Maynard would be one of the best 15,000 or so!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you react to every stupid person on this earth, you will eventually become one of them! Happiness is learning to ignore the ridiculous. Even repeating trash (like gossip) brings you closer to it. When we know better, we have nothing to prove!

We all understand the need for role models, the problem is when we narrow our musical focus, we limit our potential.

A better question would have been: what has Maynard done to inspire you?

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I agree with Bud.

10. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    By the time I got here, I had to read the title to remember how the original question was asked.

I will put it this way, I have seen Maynard do things that I have never seen equaled by anyone. Imitated, yes, but not with the sound and endurance. As for the articulation, listen to some of the older recording where he is really super articulate and clean. Ex. Some live recordings of Got the Sprit where he is playing the opening sax line at an up tempo.