would you rank maynard in top 10 of all-time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by youngmaynard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. amuk

amuk New Friend

May 22, 2007
    Back when I was in music school (1964) Maynard was officially looked down on by trumpet players that I knew. My teacher (identity left blank) said that he was not even in the same class as Gozzo, for instance, and that his playing was just gimmicky.
    HOWEVER, every trumpet player I knew payed close attention when he played on the radio. I found his playing exciting almost like forbidden fruit.
    I went to see him play in person, for the first time, about ten years ago and while he obviously was no technical whiz he was great to see and hear--a great entertainer. One of the ten best??? Yes, but only if you judge him by his lasting influence.

2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    UGH - I see this a lot on the Maynard Forum as well. Not only was Maynard an inspiration, one of the best to EVER play trumpet, but he was also one of the nicest human beings to EVER live!!!

He was truly a musician's musician!!! Never did he try to shut down, upstage or hog the lime-light! He ALWAYS gave props, gratitude and honor to those that were on stage with him.

He inspired more people young and old alike than anyone else I can think of!!!!

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Music is an art form, and because of that we should appreciate artists simply for the expression and creative human qualities they bring to us all for our enjoyment.

The beauty of art (in any form) is that you don’t have to appreciate every style, and because one person does or does not appreciate a specific art form (or artists within that form) does not increase or decrease the validity of the art created or performed.

Therefore it doesn’t matter where we rank Maynard or any other performer amongst others. It simply matters that we enjoy his music if he’s the person we choose to listen to. The person who may be number one on my list may not make your list at all, and visa versa. The art that hangs on my walls in my house brings me happiness – you may not like it at all. Remember that the beauty of all art is in the eyes (or ears) of the beholder!

BTW, I always loved Maynard and will always hold him in the very highest esteem. That's my opinion, and in my house it is my stereo! You want to hear some Maynard then you are all welcome to come to my house for a visit!

4. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

Well put Bandman!!!!
    I'll be right over.....what's for lunch?
    PEACE!

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

If you are coming all the way from the Bronx then I'll cook anything you want!!!

6. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    MF set the standard. A fabulous brass player.

7. youngmaynard

youngmaynard New Friend

Apr 19, 2007
    TUCSON,AZ
    hey listen iam sorry if i ruffled anyones feathers and i admit i should have asked a different question i agree you cant rank the all time greats but i was extreamly saddend by his loss because he is the one who inspired me to pick up trumpet when i first heard him on the radio at the age of 8. I saw him live when he visited my high school about 2 years ago and i was star struck and i was shaken out my shoes when we played birdland in the jazz band and i was playing first cause i knew i couldnt do it justice. After we played he came into our band room and said with a smirk who was that on lead i have never heard such high notes in my life then he proceeded to laugh he just brought life to anywhere he went i will always miss him R.I.P. one of the best my inspiration Maynard Ferguson

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    You just accomplished what you intended in your original post. You loved Maynard and you wanted to pay tribute to him by your original post. The poll was not the way to go... what you just said makes it more than obvious how you feel about Maynard and that is nice!

I think a great thread on this board would be “when did you first see a great trumpet performance?†or “when did you first see ____ in concert?†and let people fill in the name they want.

I remember as a young kid in the 1970’s seeing many great players, Each of them had an influence on me in different ways. Just this week a friend of mine gave me a CD on which he had digitally copied a few Bill Chase tunes (Chase was never released on CD). As I took a ride in my care to go pick up my daughter I popped the CD into the player and it had a profound effect on me. I had forgotten how much I loved the way Chase played. For just a few minutes I had that very special feeling, remembering the first time I heard Chase play at Fairfax High School in about 1972. I’ve been playing old LPs the past few days of him playing with his own band, and also with others in the trumpet section.

So you see, we can all share how some of the all-time greats inspired us. It’s different for all of us, and for you it was Maynard who flipped your switch. I’m glad he did it for you because I bet you are a good young trumpet player and it’s always great to see another one come along!

Good luck with your playing – and remember that Maynard is in a better place than we are and I bet he is blowing some notes with some of his idols in that great Jam session that is going on nightly in heaven! Your playing his music, and playing your horn in the way he inspired you to play will never allow the memory of the great MF to die away!

9. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    All 3 Chase albums *are* on CD now through "One Way Records - Sony Music Special Products".

There are only 2 CD's, because Chase' 2nd and 3rd albums are combined into 1 CD.
    I faintly remember reading somewhere that one song from one of the albums is missing from the combined CD, like there wasn't room for it.

I've had the CD's for at least a year.

- morris

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

WOW!!! I'm going to order them this week! Thanks for the info.

I was a big time Chase fan as a kid! I really loved the way he was able to combine his fabulous playing into a very modern style of music! He brought great playing to the musically illiterate and gave them a love for trumpet playing!