would you rank maynard in top 10 of all-time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by youngmaynard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Well this post inspired me to dig out my old Maynard albums. I just got done listening to New Vintage again. I laughed a little during Star Wars (So dated), but I still love Oasis, (Soft and soaring)
    Airegin (reminds me of his earlier stuff) ... A great trip down memory lane !

Maynard is the one who inspired me, a sax player, to pick up the trumpet. That's a gift I can never repay !

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Maynard was rated very high by most of us. I think we can reasonably say that he was the major influence of many of us. I remember, for example, that Bud Brisbois listened to Maynard play 'Over The Rainbow' over and over again. One of Bud's friends in high school said that every time he went over to Bud's house he would be listening to that song on the 'Dimensions' album.

I heard Maynard play live several times. He only lived about 15 miles from me. He lived in Ojai, California and I lived in Ventura. Every year he gave a free concert in Ojai to kick off his World Tour and we tried to attend whenever possible. One thing that particularly impressed me about his playing was his lovely tone. I heard him play 'Stardust' twice and I always wished that he had made a album of Torch Songs because he could really play great ballads.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    He's a Harry James wanna be.....

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hella yeah!
    what you think, were talking MAYNARD brother!

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Maynard was in his own class as a trumpet player and musician.
    Don't compare him with others and others with him. It is a worthless exercise. There are trumpet players we don't even know about that play in the 99.99 percentile.

Maynard had technique that would blow you away. Listen to his early albums. He could triple and double tongue in the highest range he could play. He had it all.

When he matured into his "present" style there was no need to do fancy articulation. It isn't a jazz/rock style so he didn't do it.

Maynard's biography is a must read.

6. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I was lucky enough to talk with several "big guys" in my musical life and even more lucky to have played on the same stage. Maynard was a wonderful man and he was kind not only to us old farts, but took the time to talk to students at concerts and events. Before I got to meet Maynard I only knew him from his recordings. His sound and style inspired me to keep playing and take up the lead book in High school and College. I dont think I would be the player I am without hearing him.

His influence continued after his passing when I got the call to play at a tribute concert with a group of outstnding musicians. It really got my blood going! His influence will continue for a long time, my students are still getting turned on to his music and the music of guys like Wayne Bergeron.

Guys like Maynard trancend rankings, he was an ambassador for our music and instrument.

TD

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    My hero! :D
    But Maynard is still the MAN for screamers!

8. kozbob

kozbob New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    United States
    Absolutely! Maynard had a HUGE influence on me, and he still does! I rank him in the top 5! one of my jazz heros!

9. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    One of the best ever, yup.

10. mholliday

mholliday New Friend

Apr 18, 2007
    baltimore, maryland
    Absolutely. I think Maynard is one the greatest to ever to pick up the instrument. He was and is an inspiration to me in my playing as I am sure he was to countless others.