would you rank maynard in top 10 of all-time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by youngmaynard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Navy4Christ

Navy4Christ New Friend

Sep 19, 2007
    Missouri
    Perhaps I'm nostalgic, but my favorite (next to Dad) is Tutti Camarata. I used to practice to his 'Trumpeter's Prayer...so much so, that I think our neighbors said a few prayers of their own, while I struggled to learn his style.

Ziggy Elman is high on the list, too.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Aside from his talents as a player, I think he reached out to the masses though arrangements of popular music and infused big bag high energy jazz with other styles. Go back and listen to some stuff like Battlestar Gallactica, really funny sounding now, but he tried to reach a broader audience.
    He also performed many fundraising events where a high school could have Maynard come out and play and the school would get a cut of the proceeds. Young kids would be awestruck by his awesome playing and showmanship. It also appeared that he'd bring in a lot of young talent to perform at these shows giving some youngs musicians a break into the business.

Everyone I knew in high school knew who he was.... many other great players kids didn't know.

My high school had Clark Terry perform as a fundraiser, and prior to that I had no idea who he was. Afterwards, I realized who he was and was very impressed with how nice he was to us. He spent quite a bit of time just talking with folks after the show, such a nice guy.

Sadly high school kids like me spent too much time attempting to squeak out high notes, rather than playing musically.

Maynard did get us listening to jazz, however and inspired us to play better. Tweeter's were added to loudspeakers just to accomodate Maynard ;)

3. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    Of course Maynard is one of the best of all time. He is one of the more recognizable figures in the jazz and trumpet world. He ranks near the top if not at the top.

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    With out question!

I also will agree with Nick Drozdoff. I don't like "ranking" players, but Maynard is one of the most influential brass players in human history with out a doubt!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Maynard in top 10 trumpet players of all time?

No.

I think Maynard's done more to ruin the trumpet idiom than any other player in modern history. Not through fault of his own, the guy obviously had monster chops and decent jazz ability so he went on to very successul career because of it, but unfortunately a bunch of wannabes have made him the poster child of the "never play a note with sensitivity when you can blast it up two (or three) octaves" school of trumpet playing... that I detest and feel has come a long way to ruin the big band genre.

We've all seen players of the "Maynard" school: to them a solo is simply playing something high (never mind the chord changes), and never end a ballad with anything other than a dubba C or whatever. Dynamics START at fff.

I'd rather listen to any number of other jazz trumpet players any day of the week over Maynard. Remember "better" does not (to me) mean who can play highest. It's all about creativity and musical expression. There are dozens of trumpet players history will judge ahead of Maynard. Such as (in no particular order):

Miles Davis
    Chet Baker
    Louis Armrstrong
    Harry "Sweets" Edison
    Roy Eldridge
    Freddie Hubbard
    Clifford Brown
    Lee Morgan
    Don Cherry
    Blue Mitchell
    Thad Jones
    Enrico Rava
    Bobby Hackett
    Bunny Berigan
    Dave Douglas
    Terance Blanchard
    Ruby Braff
    Art Farmer
    Clark Terry
    Kenny Dorham
    Tim Hagans
    Al Hirt
    Carmell Jones
    Harry James
    Booker Little
    Tiger Okoshi
    Shorty Rogers
    Red Rodney
    Claudio Roditi
    Arturo Sandoval
    Woody Shaw
    Kenny Wheeler
    Warren Vache
    Mark Isham
    Snooky Young
    Ernie Shavers
    among others

There are dozens of lower tier players of tremendous ability out there I haven't mentioned that I'd rather listen to than Maynard. Maynard's OK, but only in small doses. He plays really high... cool. So what?

Sorry to be a turd in the punch bowl about this... but I think Maynard is by far the most over-rated trumpet player of all time, perhaps outhyped only by Harry James (who I prefer to Maynard as well).

There... somebody had to say it!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I know where your coming from. I used to bash Kenny G relentlessly . That is, until I stopped and thought about the good things his fame has done for sax musicians, and instrumentalists in general. We should all be HAPPY for those lucky few who can promote music in any way possible. You don't have to like what they play, but you should recognize the positive impact that their popularity brings forth. I personally was a big fan of Maynard, and I don't expect everyone to agree. However, I don't agree that his fame, or style had a truly negative impact on trumpet playing. He should be remembered for his positive contributions for bringing instrumental music to the masses. The more players who are able to do this, the more the rest of us instrumental musicians will benefit from it.

7. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    i might get shot for this but....

I personally cant stand Maynards music. After about 5 seconds of his loud high bad vibrato tone, I have to move on to something else. Sure I'm jealous of his ability to play in the upper register, but I would much rather listen to something else. I was never inspired by him to play the trumpet.

8. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Never rank an Artist, it's silly. Is Maynard inspirational to any of us trumpet players at one point or time in our trumpet playing lives?. Of course, the man and his horn inspired so many people in so many different ways. Let's remember him for his mastery, showmanship and for never holding back on how he expressed himself though his horn.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Well said! All those artists Mark Bradley listed are special in their own right and great to listen an learn from, including Maynard and Harry (my inspirations, not necessarily for everyday playing in the real world) There are millions of trumpet players around, different human beings, different goals, prejudices, etc, but united in interest in the basic instrument and variatons. Personally, I don't care for much Baroque music, trumpet included, but that's why there so many options available. Everyone can be happy with some part of music expression and participate to the best of their abilities and not downgrade other's preferences. These forums make all these opinions available instantly, not like pre-internet where info was passed around much more slowly.:-)