Would you support Mnozil Brass coming to the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlips48, Sep 17, 2009.

1. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Steve Delcambre and I live here in New Hampshire. You guys know me as Oldlips48, and if you take a quick look, you'll see I have a few posts here at Trumpetmaster (though not nearly as many as Robin).

I'll try to make this brief.

Via some posts here on Trumpetmaster, I had the pleasure of being introduced to the musical talents of Mnozil Brass (their YouTube videos are great). I emailed the band to ask if they were planning any tours for the United States. I actually received a reply from their trumpet player Thomas Gansch!! He forwarded my email to their booking agent, as they ARE planning a U.S. tour in March / April.

My gears started turning. I work for a school district in southern New Hampshire that has a state-of-the-art, 1000 seat Performing Arts Center. Could I actually book Mnozil Brass to perform here? After a few more emails, Mnozil Brass has agreed to play at the Arts Center in March.

Now comes the hard part. I need to convince the community organization that would be sponsoring Mnozil Brass' performance that they could raise a little money, or (worst case) break even.

Where Mnozil Brass would be playing is at the Timberlane Performing Arts Center in Plaistow, NH. Plaistow is about 45 north of Boston, just above Haverhill, MA. Here is a link to the "PAC"s website:

Timberlane Regional Performing Arts Center

Please scroll down the page a bit and check out the facility itself.

Here's where you, my Trumpetmaster buddies come in. I need to convince the sponsoring community organization (the Timberlane Community Band, which I play in) that having Mnozil Brass play at the PAC would be worth the effort. So I need a little marketing research:

1) If you live close enough to Plaistow, NH, would you make the effort to come see Mnozil Brass in concert? How many people do you think would come with you?

2) What would you think are reasonable ticket prices? The band understands they are not as well known in the U.S. as they are in Europe and Asia, so they're being very reasonable with their performance fees.

3) If you have any ideas about getting the word out about this concert, would you pass them along?

Let me emphasize that I have no stake in this other than having the opportunity of seeing Mnozil Brass perform live at the PAC. I think their unique blend of music and humor would be well received in the U.S. I also feel that millions of band kids would be thrilled to have a band to emulate that didn't require stringed instruments.

So please, let me know what you think. If I get positive feedback rather quickly, I'll duplicate this post on Trumpet Herald and any other brass forums I can find. I'll be happy to respond to any questions or comments you may have. Just shoot me a private message here and I'll respond with my email address.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. I know I'm not the only one that would like to see this happen.

Regards,
    Steve Delcambre

2. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I go to school in Boston and assuming that the concert was not on a weekend where WE had to play, I'm almost certain I could get at least a few of the brass players here out.

We're students, so our favorite ticket price is free! But Mnozil could make us spend money... I'd pay up to $30 without too much hesitation.

As for getting the word out: just send their youtube videos to all your friends!

Stuart

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I probably can't be much help for you there in New England, but maybe we can arrange a concert here in California as part of their tour. How about it guys? Anybody here an impresario? Can we put this together? Since I have only been on the comeback trail for 4 months, I don't have many contacts that could put this together. Anybody know someone here that could do it?

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    They will be playing at the National Trumpet Competition Conference at George Mason U. in the spring. The recent ITG Journal has a full page add with Mnozil Brass as guest performers.

NTC website: Home Page (National Trumpet Competition)

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I think my first post was just too long for most people to plow through. But I'm going to keep plugging.

Comeback, I sent you a PM with info and my email address. Hope it works out.

Steve D