Wow, just wow.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The smear is not just at one frequency. There is one for the length, width, height and corner to corner distances. The best second step is NOT damping any other walls, rather diffusing (a bookshelf with a lot of different sized books is perfect). You play in the direction of the books and there is no pronounced single acoustic reflection back towards you. That is great for the ears and your sound.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Man, are you right about that. BEFORE I got the bass traps in there, the only way I could get even close to a clean sound on the acoustic was to face it into my desk area, where there are books and a shelf and such ..... right up close to it, about 2 feet away. Crunched into this corner was how I got the recording that I posted up, "Blue Turtle." The electric lead was easier. All you need to do is put the mics right up close to the grille cloth on the amplifier and it pretty much negates anything behind it.

Diffusers next .... yep.

Turtle

coolerdave likes this.
  3. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    How did you find Auralex? I have a room I would like to have accoustically corrected but it has some accoustically challenging features.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Through the company Sweetwater, an outlet for the high end recording industry equipment. The stuff we're talking about can be seen on their website. It's a great company ... they send me huge glossy catalogs a few times a year.

Turtle

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What a show off ...."I have a Turleshed...do you? ..neener neener" ..." I have an Old's Recording .... do you? .... neener neener" ,,,, I have Auralex bass traps and sound like Clifford Brown now.. do you? ... neener neener"
    :D
    glad to hear it's working nicely ... you and that Monet mp ...... okay so I am a little jealous ... deal
    waiting for the youtube vids!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey, I'm just sharing what I'm doing. There's a lot of good information in these posts for those that are interested.

I'm sorry .... Did I say I sounded like Clifford Brown? I missed that .... where I said anything like that? Or even that I sound good on the trumpet (I sound just okay to fair, depending on the day). :dontknow:

If you are having some kind of problem, don't take it out on me ...... I have relatives for that. :lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Turtle .. I was kidding... I am sorry it didn't come off right. I think it is awesome ... I mean that.. the thread is a good one ... a thousand pardons.

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Google "Auralex", and there are several similar companies as well. Watch eBay, as quite often there are some bargains. Also, google "sound treatment recording studio" or "recording studio design" and there are a bunch of sites with great info (some are pretty advanced). Found a lot of valuable info this way when I started construction on my studio (but ran out of $$ and time).

9. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey Turtle, sounds like you are doing some cool stuff. Do you have any of your recordings posted up somewhere to hear. I thought I had listen to some that you had done before and they sounded great. From what you are describing it sounds like it will be a factor better.

I like to play in my family room / kitchen nook area where the ceilings are a vault style. I like the ring and can hear my self better. I have played in alot of practice rooms with all the ceiling tile looking stuff on the walls and it just sucks in the sound and is hard to hear yourself compared to a big room with a vault ceiling. Which is your new treatment most like? Maybe the more dead room is better for recording?

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I believe "deader is better for recording" . My SIL did some at our church sanctuary for practice purposes. Sound just bounces in there something fierce. Hadn't noticed it while playing.....Buck:dontknow::oops: