WoW Not a lot of options for upgrade parts!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Nov 24, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well unless you have a model of trumpet that was built with interchangable lead pipe design it is hard to find lead pipes and other part's. Sure you can find someone to send your trumpet to to get it restored but if you want to play around yourself it is like looking for a StarBucks Coffee house in the middle of the Amazon rain forest!!!! To make matter's worse even if I had the lead pipe off and the reciever off so I could take detailed measurements no one list's the diemensions of their leadpipes on their web site's etc...... I see right now I am going to have to just go buy some copper,bronce or nickle stock and just make my own darn leadpipe. If I stick with soft metals like those listed I can use mild steel stock or old mill files cut to shape as my cutting tools. I thought about useing super dense metals like depleted uranium,tungsten carbid, or even just tool steel but I would need to have a much more expensive cuting tool and for a one of project it does not make sense to spend that type of money. I am going to go talk to the guy that did my Son's Flute pad replacement and see if he can help with finding an OEM or after market leadpipe that will easily fit. I have two soon to be three trumpet's and they all have some pitting in the leadpipe's. It is nothing serious like a hole rotten through or anything like that but any pitting will disturb the air colum. I would like to get the and keep the air colum from the mouth piece through the leadpipe,tuning slide and out the bell as smooth as can be.

I guess most people do not work on their instruments themselfs or most do not modify they just upgrade to a better trumpet?!? I find amazeing that I can find Army Surplus thickening agent to add to gasoline for the flame thrower's that is still sealed and Korean War vintage but I can not google "Leadpipe or Trumpet LeadPipe or Trumpet Part's" and get and solid hits on the first 20-30 pages. I get gimp stuff like valve cap's and buttons for you guessed it the pimped out "Bach Strad's". Looking online for aftermarket part's you would think that the only company that ever made trumpet's is Bach and that the only model ever made was the Strad especialy the 180ML-37.

Good to know that if I ever need to pimp out a Bach Strad with heavy cap's and buttons that look like purple wide oval brim hat's with a feather sticking out the side that someone makes those!

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "I guess most people do not work on their instruments themselfs or most do not modify they just upgrade to a better trumpet?!?"

Unless you're trained to do so you'll probably wind up doing more damage than good. Even with your skills, you'd likely ruin a new Bach if you tried to modify it yourself. The nuances involved would escape you.

"I find amazeing that I can find Army Surplus thickening agent to add to gasoline for the flame thrower's that is still sealed and Korean War vintage but I can not google "Leadpipe or Trumpet LeadPipe or Trumpet Part's" and get and solid hits on the first 20-30 pages."

Those who want cheap horns get them at Wal Mart for less than the price of a new leadpipe. THose who use quality horns understand that replacing a lead pipe is better left to an expert and "experimenting" could ruin a horn.

"I get gimp stuff like valve cap's and buttons for you guessed it the pimped out "Bach Strad's". Looking online for aftermarket part's you would think that the only company that ever made trumpet's is Bach and that the only model ever made was the Strad especialy the 180ML-37. Good to know that if I ever need to pimp out a Bach Strad with heavy cap's and buttons that look like purple wide oval brim hat's with a feather sticking out the side that someone makes those!"

Different top and bottom caps were designed to "fine tune" a horn, not merely pimp it out.

Could just be me, but you're ranting a LOT on your threads about the inability of trumpet players to make repairs/modifications on their own horns, yet YOU know little or nothing yourself about horn repair. You do understand that it takes many years to become a good trumpet player, right? Few people have the ability to spend an equal amount of time mastering the art of trumpet repair, and even fewer to the art of creating a custom horn. It's more than just machining some parts or putting some pieces of plumbing together.

Your heart seems to be in the righ tplace, but most of your ramblings are over-simplifying things.

Apologies if I'm being too blunt.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    He also doesn't seem to know how a trumpet works either.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Most repair shops can order replacment leadpipes for dozens of different makes and models. Putting it on is harder than it looks. Paying a pro to do it is cheaper in the long run than ruining stuff or doing it wrong.

If you ever make your depleted uranium leadpipe...don't sit next to me in the section.