Wow ... Olds Ambassador!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Feb 15, 2005.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I am always on the look out for good quality used trumpets that I can sell reasonably to students and keep them away from the junk horns that abound.

I saw an Olds Ambassador on eBay that looked to be in great shape. It arrived today. My oh my. Very little lacquer wear and the case looks near new.

But when I played it with a stock 7C I was most impressed! I have played many beginner horns. Since high C (up an octave from here :treble: :c6: ) is my limit (although I can pop a D, E or F at times) I am usually a pretty good judge of beginner horns.

This horn is amazing. Nice tone, even when I am playing it :shock:
    and the intonation was right on! My is this a nice beginner's horn.

I wonder if I got one that Zig Kanstul had a hand in building? :cool:

Jim

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Jim, great avatar. Just don't come down with the same affliction that he had! (took me a while to remember where I saw that image).

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Doc,
    There are several sites that have Olds serial numbers/year charts. Olds Central is probably your best bet as to ascertaining whether or not Zig was still at Olds. This is just more proof that the venerable Olds horns are still extremely good.

And out of curiosity, who is that in your avatar?

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Have you seen "Brassed Off?"
    Hint Hint

Jim

5. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    good ole' grimethorpe

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    nope, never seen it, and I seriously doubt I could find it around here.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    This horn gets better and better. It was made in 1955! And yes, that was when Zig Kanstul was working at Olds. He worked there in one capacity or another from the early 50's until 1970 when he took over the manufacturing operations at Benge.

It is really hard to believe this is a 50 year old horn. It is in great shape, the valves are nearly new. The case is very nice.

Jim

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Used DVDs at Amazon for about $12. :cool:

Jim

Worth watching and the music is terrific. Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band is the brass band in the movie. A great British movie.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    It comes on A&E every now and then. I managed to catch the last hour of it one morning.

"Its a bloody euphonium!" :D

Van

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I ordered that one locally....cost me about $15 US as I recall. It's an interesting movie... perhaps a bit strange to North American sensibilities (what's funny about a guy dressed in a clown costume trying to commit suicide?) but apparently fits right in with the British sense of humour.

Some really superb playing however and what I would consider a valid depiction of a "company town" being torn apart by "downsizing". A bit thin on the romance... but still worth purchasing for the music alone.

And if you happen to transcribe the flugel solo in "Concerto d' Arunjez".... definitely worth it.