Wow... (This is a must listen!)

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Stradivarius, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matt...

Cut them a little slack, it's a college band. University of Cambridge. The 1st trumpeter sounded tired going into the tune... you can hear him literally tighten up to get through the first few licks.

ML

3. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    oh, i thought it said they were professional's... there is a 10th grader at my high school who can play it perfectly... he is good, he plays high F easy, i know whats its like for ure lips to be dead so i guess i know how this band feels

4. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I hit a high Eb today, the first one above the staff. Unfortunately, I used too much pressure (I never notice until it's too late).

It's so satisfying being able to play that high.

I listen to a lot of Dizzy Gillespie's recordings, so I get a kick out of being able to emulate him. :)

[without the pressure]

5. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Also, while we're on the subject of student jazz bands, here are two links to songs we performed at our last concert (Spring 2005).

There were three jazz ensembles at my school last year, but one was cut due to the district budget not passing the first time. I play in the advanced band (Jazz III).

Thad Jones - Low Down arr. Mike Carubia [Click Here to Download]

The Funk Stomps here - Rich DeRosa [Click Here to Download]

Those are my favorites. If anyone is interested in downloading the whole concert (yes, it's legal,) just send me a PM and I'll send you the link where you can download it from my site.

6. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I went through all that work to upload the tracks and no one's gonna comment?

:-(

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The band sounds good. Much better intonation than most HS bands. Pretty clean playing also. Balance is very good.

You need some trumpet solos!

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, BP,

Just got home and checked it out... that's a high school group? Wow... congrats, that's nice work. What is it with saxes in general, though? Why are they almost always flat? It's something I hear with student groups over and over... anyways, I'm glad you're proud of your group. They do a nice job.

ML

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I have a tape of a teacher from a large university near me butchering the Carnival of Venice. There are a couple of measures where he misses every single note. There are 24 notes in one of those measures.
    Your clip is tame in comparison.

P.S. This professor also has the tone of a fly.

10. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Yeah, none of the trumpets actually listen to jazz (except one who just listens to Miles). I did a lot of soloing at a local jazz/blues club this summer and I'm going to be tearing it up this year! I'll post recordings when I get them.

[let me know if my ego gets out of control! :oops:]