Wow! You don't have to buzz!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 15, 2013.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I did so much lip and mouthpiece buzzing in high school and uni. I thought it was the right thing to do and that that same buzz was the mechanic for playing the horn. But today I found out I can just blow focused air through the horn and stay relaxed. Thanks to Charlie Porter and Greg Spence. Maybe I can finally use less tension!

http://youtu.be/Q17qIjoZ0-k

:stars:

Seriously this is a bit of a revelation! I had four years of university-level lessons and nobody showed me this.

2. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Yeah this one little bit of information right here would definitely help out hundreds if not thousands of other players who just don't have the sound that they are looking for..... but that's my opinion of course ;)

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    2 more voices crying in the wilderness, look at "Trumpet_Physics 1 and 2, a master class by Prof John Harburg on youtube. I find this concept very hard to sell to my fellow trumpet players, even the Tutor at the music camp last month, the head of brass at a prestigous melbourne school had us doing a lot of mouthpiece buzzing. I wont get on my hobby horse.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Buzzing helps for ear training, and the Stamp studies have value. There are a couple of views on trumpets, one that it is nothing more than a megaphone, amplifying and shaping the buzz. The other view is that the player/mouthpiece (including buzz) and horn work in concert (neat pun, huh) and that the instrument plays us after the first few round trips when we start a note. I subscribe to the second view.

The trumpet plays us.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    ObJoke: "In Soviet Union, trumpet plays YOU!"

You and the horn have to get along together, clearly, and you have to know your instrument and mouthpiece intimately if you want any chance of mastery. But the player has input.

Tom

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    So THAT's what happens. Did you blokes know about this? Why have you have kept it from me? I'm going to have to read that Mystery to Mastery book with my eyes open I think.

7. christophac7

christophac7 Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2012
    Boca Raton, FL
    If you like that, I think you'd like my playlist I've been putting together on YouTube. It's got that video and some other good ones.
    Link

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You know, I ran across this about a year ago and had really never thought about it. It makes good sense, and even though I basically play that way in the staff and lower, it has opened my eyes to using that technique at the top of the staff and beyond, instead of pinching and powering my way up there. I'm still progressing down that road, and the improvement is noticeable.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    This should be passed down from father to son as part of the oral tradition.

Regards, Stuart.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013