Wow! You don't have to buzz!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Isn't that the beautiful thing about internet? The truth is usually out there somewhere, you only have to sort it from the other stuff.

Seven months back, I started playing again, never having been able to buzz my lips. After some web research I figured that I'd better get with the program and develop a buzz - I was so diligent that I almost needed a windscreen wiper on the inside of my car.:-) As I was also getting heaps of mouthpiece time things got better and I gave credit to the buzzing as part of my improvement.

The Charlie and Greg videos and also one that Allen Vizzutti did showing air going through the MPC with no sound until the lead pipe connected put things in a different perspective (and affirmed that my old teachers weren't far off the money). Rethinking things around aperture and airflow has worked well for me. Just blowing air through the aperture without even trying to buzz has become a nice warmup routine too.

2. gabe.....

gabe..... New Friend

Nov 26, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Wow! This is pivotal......all these years and I've never known this. I'll be sharing this with my kid as well. If I had only know this when I was 13.....THANK YOU!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At least... That's the buzz.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Exactly right, Tom--the player has input. In general, the maxim "if we can play it on the mouthpiece, we can play it on the trumpet" holds true, especially with intervals. Buzzing the pipe and doing lips slurs on it (the intervals get all messed up) is good training as are bends. Point is, if we just let let the trumpet play itself the result is not all that musical.

Kind of like riding a horse, I guess--sometimes you can give it its head and just fly, and sometimes you have to be able to yank the head in a new direction. That's where buzzing and bends come into play, allowing our musical willpower to control the trumpet.

Weird stuff.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've seen the videos before and I like the relaxed approach, however, if your lips don't buzz, the will be no standing wave created in your horn and there will be no sound. Thats just a law of physics that can't be altered. Learning to buzz relaxed is the approach that should be taken. One of the "dangers" we've been told about shallow mpcs is when you are fatigued, your lips hit the mpc and no sound comes out. That is because your lips have stopped buzzing/vibrating. I think "buzzing" is beneficial for the reasons mentioned by VB already. I also think it is an important part of teaching young players (no matter how old) that they are in charge of the horn, they make the sound. The mpc and horn are inanimate objects and they, the player, are the ones that give life and sound to the instrument. That is not possible without a buzz/vibration in the lips. "No Buzz" is a misnomer.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wanted to point this out too. When you focus the air, your aperture gets smaller and the lips closer together. Continue to "focus" i.e. get a smaller,focused aperture, and the lips will start to buzz/vibrate. This topic seems to make the rounds about every 18-24 months and the last go around got testy to say the least. However, it is always good to re-hash to remind oneself why you do what you do. One gentleman who was totally against free buzzing, later admitted to doing it AND that it helped him. Whether you believe you should "buzz" or not, you should always remain relaxed.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Maybe this time we passy the testy.

8. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Amazing! Changed my embouchure today per the non-buzzing lessons. Couldn't get good quality sound except in lower register. But it is so less fatiguing. Just a matter of days, I hope, until my ability climbs the register.

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just wondering if we're talking about two different buzzings here - buzzing on an MPC and buzzing "naked" lips?

I've found MPC buzzing useful for a whole lot of things from warm-up to development to practice substitute whilst traveling. It's the buzzing without a mouthpiece that seems questionable.

As per TL8's posting, the lips obviously must vibrate to set up the sound that we make. The videos which show blowing through a MPC making no sound until a leadpipe is attached raise the question - is the vibration of the lip(s?) when buzzing the same mechanism or mode that occurs (or should occur) when playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIRWgYWnLOc
    Allen Vizzutti "...I'm anti-buzz..." , "...the notion of buzzing creates a beginner sound, so if you start that way you've got a problem..."

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I'm so happy for TM'ers who posted saying they are made happy by the videos. However, I am at a loss as to the source of their elation -- the "why?"