Wow! You don't have to buzz!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I love it when you show a vuvuzela (spelling?) player that their horn has more than one note - then watch them turn red trying produce them:evil:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can get three out of mine and it sounds like a viking horn. My wife "loves" it! ROFL

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I've never tried to get more than one note out of it, but then again I tend to use them for percussion.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The vuvuzela is a rich instrument with a long, distinguished history as these German fellows demonstrate:

Vuvuzela Concert - YouTube

5. Kendall

Kendall Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    UK
    Oh my - that's a revelation to me also, I think I am guilty of not blowing the air straight!! Wow I'm away to get my mouthpiece!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They may have gotten a better tone without buzzing! :roll:

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    So now we begin the search for the ever elusive Straight (buzz free) Airflow - the mouthpiece manufacturers are sure going to feel the pinch in these hard economic times.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Years ago I was told for high notes blow low in the mouthpiece and for low notes blow high in the mouthpiece, or was it the other way round?

Regards, Stuart.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It doesn't really matter...nothing works...:lol:

Seriously, for the last year or two, I've been working on playing to the extremes of my register without altering the direction of blow or tilt of the mouthpiece. I think that is one aspect of having an easier time of playing - it looks smoother if nothing else. Anyone sit beside a trumpet player whose horn is rapidly moving up and down as they play intervals? I think the better way to do it is with embouchure changes within the mouthpiece, not repositioning the angle of the horn/mouthpiece relative to the embouchure.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't buzz -- but I can play the trumpet --- (I might mention I know people who got buzzed on a regular basis back in high school), and none of them played the trumpet -- ROFL ROFL ROFL