Writing a bio ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcstites, Feb 5, 2007.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have searched around a little and can't find any help writing a short bio for myself. In the past I have written some for performances, but have never been really happy with them.

Does anyone have any do's and dont's or tips on writing one? I guess it would have to be a short bio since I am still young and dont have much to put on it, lol.

I have been googling and finding some professionals bio's, which is helping some. But, since they have so much to include it seems easier for them to do.

2. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    The primary purpose of the bio is to tell the audience what it is you want them to know about you. There is no set formula, but your bio should give information that the audience will find interesting. It is completely appropriate to include: where you were born, school you are in, who you study/studied with, places /groups you play(ed) with, solos you've played, competitions you've won (or placed in), hopes and aspirations, other hobbies or interests. Think about the people who will be reading it - what would they find interesting about you?

Put the most important things first. This is really up to you - choose what you think tells the most about who you are. Keep it honest, and write from your heart. There is no definite right or wrong, unless you make things up....

Another good place to look for samples is on orchestra web sites. They often have members listed, and bios for them.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to PM me if you want some help editing - I do a lot of these, and it is much easier to write about someone else than about ourselves! (Sometimes it helps to pretend you are writing about someone else, too.)

3. Tooter Tutor

Tooter Tutor New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    Hudsonville, Michigan
    A good rule of thumb is not to sound like you are bragging. Mention the facts about your playing history, but try not to editorialize. However, it is fine to include quotes of others that might say great things on your behalf. Put all the glowing reviews in quotes and include attribution. For example:

"...great sound, outstanding musicianship, a must hear!"
    Lexington Herald-Leader

That is more appropriate than just telling people you have a great sound and that you are an outstanding musician.

Anyway, just some food for thought!

-Greg

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bravo! Humility is the key to a great bio. Adolph Herseth, when asked what he did for a living, would simply say: "I play trumpet in a symphony orchestra."

5. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I dream of the day I can say that, lol.

Thanks for the tips so far. I have one in the works now. When finished, i will post a link to my website that will have the bio on it.

6. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thanks to Sandy I have a bio up on my website now. Thanks!

You can check it out at Jonathan Stites , just clik Bio

If you read it and have any ideas let me know, but I am pretty happy with it so far.

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Jonathan,

Had a quick look. Nice site and nice job on the bio!

Just a few suggestions if I may...

> Use a larger font

> Post a professional head shot of yourself (it took me a while to figure out who you were in all those pictures).

In regards to making any changes to your bio format, try looking at Prof Orcheatras web sites. Most of them will have bio's for their musicians like these:

ML....Artist

Chris Martin.... Chicago Symphony Orchestra - CSO Musicians Roster - Performer Bio

Good luck with everything.

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I find making bios short, sweet and informative without gloating is a good formula. Having freelanced and taught for twenty years, it becomes tedious and unnecessary to list every single accolade and accomplishment. With so many years of experience doing so many different things, I like to summarize what I am capable of offering/doing in the present, gathered from all of the experience of the past, while on the road to one goal. Highlights perhaps. My journey has been anything but traditional, nor boring. :-) While I have yet to land a secure FULL-TIME job in a secure FULL-TIME orchestra, what makes me, and each of us, valuable is all of the experiences and knowledge gathered along the way to a chosen goal. The fabric that is ME is intricate and vast because I never gave up and explored every avenue to survive/MAKE A LIVING doing the thing that I love - making music on the trumpet and planting the seed of passion for music in every student/person I encountered. That is still my goal and is still taking me places I never dreamed.

So, in a nutshell, it is much better to summarize rather than itemize when writing a bio IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Site looks good, and thought the bio was fine. Enjoyed the tubing pictures too, but was expecting something that had to do with the trumpet. Do any of those good looking women play baritone?

10. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007