"wrong lip position"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You have an audition in 4 weeks. I hope you and your teacher knows what that means.

I am not picking on you, but I am always amazed at the lack of "first comes first" in many posters here.

Just stop for a minute, and think without trying to tell anybody anything. Think just for you. Listen to yourself really closely. What do YOU want to do. When you have an answer, ask YOURSELF what do you need to do to get there and how much time do you have. Optimally you will have a goal and a year to reach it. If you are talking about days or weeks, I'll say, go back to the drawing board.

Realistic goals and a realistic view of your personal talents will be key to success-not the position of your lip..........

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    if you have an audition in 4 weeks I would keep it as it is for now then if you have the time and patients follow your teachers advice and think about either changing which will mean going back a few stages to go forward or stick with it and work with it....

4. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    You can make any emborchure work. I know guys who have a hideous lip position, but somehow they make it work and are great players. I would say as long as it is comfortable to you and you aren't hurting then I say stay with it. It sounds like you are making it work just fine.

5. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Easy cowboy,

Lets see..... from what I gather your asking if it is ok to play in a different lip position? I would tend so say yes as long as you are getting the results that you want and not damaging anything.
    I myself play alittle to the right of center, it just feels comfortable and with ill effects.

If your not happy with your teacher and if you can maybe you could benefit from a private teacher if your able. Just my 2 cents, Good luck on the audition.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    There are countless examples of successful trumpet players over the years who do not have a "text book" embrouchure or mouthpiece position (Maynard,Faddis,Wynton come to mind and even Phil Smith plays to the side a little)
    Hell I went to college with an amazing lead player that had an extreme "smile" embrouchure.So much so that as he got in the higher register you could actually see his teeth. (playing 2nd next to him I would sometimes get a spit bath ROFL)
    He was amazing though ...double C's, could play anything in front of him and sounded great too. (some of you guys in the bay area may know who I'm talking about)
    I guess my point is that certain circumstances be it dental/facial structure , habit or what ever may cause us to set up our embrouchures a certain way.
    If you are having success and sounding good with your set up now I wouldn't change a thing...especially with an audition coming up.

8. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    i think that most would agree that there is a 'desired' position when you start playing ... w/ mouthpiece in the center of your chops ... but dental/facial structure are issues that we all deal with, as stevesf stated. besides those already mentioned, look at chris botti playing with lots of upper lip and way left of center ... and no one is complaining about his sound or range. as tomcat stated, 'you can make any embouchure work'. that being said, if you have issues getting cut, or lack of endurance, or lack of flexibility, then you may want to screw up your life temporarily and change your embouchure, knowing it could help in the long run (do this after your audition). if all is well, then i'd probably leave it ... and potentially look for a new teacher (if they keep pushing the issue).