Wrong valve oil causing buildup?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    So, I was having trouble with my valves and took my trumpet in. The technician said it needed ultrasonic cleaning, and they had to do something to get the "buildup" off the valves (did he say polish? I'm not sure). Now I bought the horn used, but it worked nicely when I got it, and have cleaned it regularly - but still ended up where the valves were getting worse.

He asked what oil I was using - blue juice - and said that "can be ok," but after it's cleaned he'll want me to use yamaha light synthetic valve oil. Also suggested that I use that on my pocket trumpet. I'd thought I was using a good quality oil . . .

The odd thing is, I have an olds ambassador that's circa 1970 that has never been professionally cleaned, and I've always used whatever valve oil was on hand.

Should I throw out all the blue-juice I have, or just not use it on my Benge and Jupiter Pocket? (In other words reserve it for the mellophone that so far seems to work ok with it)? Anyone else have problems with blue juice?

2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Do yourself a favor and try some Berp Bio Oil on your Ambassador. I own a '67 and this stuff works great on my horn -- better than the Bach, Zaja Blue, Ultra Pure, and Yamaha synthetic (regular) oils that I've tried. My 1st valve tended to get hung up a bit using these other oils. Not with the Berp Bio Oil. My valves now work great. You can buy it from Musical Enterprises Berps & Bags or BerpBioOil - Canola based valve oil - IMPROVED !

ewetho likes this.
  3. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I use blue juice on my benge, both conns, and both Olds, it works great.

4. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    Wow, the valve oil thing has become a lot more complex over the years. It used to be you'd have the yellow stuff or Al Cass (and that's all we had, and we liked it! :woop: )

I dug up the lengthy valve oil thread that's already started here and got a good insight into what's available today and I'm really leaning on purchasing some Ultra Pure -- especially for my C and picc once I take them to the shop to get the valves unstuck from so many years of non-use.

Right now I'm using what's been left of my Al Cass on my much worn 1980 made strad B flat. Seems to work fine despite these pistons being on the loose side at this point.

I have to say, I've never heard of valve oil "buildup". But with non-synthetic or cheapo stuff I imagine it could happen. Doesn't seem to me anything though that simple dish detergent couldn't solve. It isn't an internal combustion engine, after all...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't really play my Ambassador anymore, but I can't get rid of it either. Once in a while I pick it up. My daughter says she wants it, we'll see. She play piano, drums, flute, and sings - may major in music, I don't know but if she wants it I can't see a better use for it.

As to the buildup, it may or may not be related to bluejuice. It could have been something else - it got much worse after the last bath I gave it. I told him as much - and continued even after rinsing it again. Who knows, maybe whatever the previous owner used interacted with the blue-juice.

On the flip side, the Mellophone I played had very poor valves indeed when I got it. I soaked them in vinager overnight, then put them in the mellophone - after a thorough rinsing - with Blue-juice - and seized up the next day. Out of desperation I polished the valves using never-dull, then recleaned (there was actually rust on the valves before polishing - I hadn't recognized it as such previously), and since then, with blue-juice they move super freely. It seems like 80% of the players in this alumni corps are using blue-juice with no problems on those Dynasty horns.

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I have come to the conclusion that valve oil is a very personal thing. My former instructor swore by Blue Juice. I tried it and it was the worst thing in the world. In fact, I still have a 5-year old full bottle of it in my basement collecting dust. It gums up and makes my valves move like lead zombies with shackles on their legs. This, despite the fact I thoroughly cleaned the valves before using it. I think our saliva and horn has a role in this. What works for some doesn't work for everyone. I prefer a lighter oil, and Al Cass has worked well for me. I might look into the Yamaha Light Oil your guy says to try.

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Come, on! With a name like Berp, it's gotta be good. :-)

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Valve oil is not that expensive. Try other brands and types until you find a product that works for your particular horn. Others do the same. Blue Juice makes lots of folks happy, but for others the product does not. Try the other products mentioned here and see how they work for you? You could give the Blue Juice to a school band program if you find other valve oil works better for your particular instrument.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have bottles of Zaja Blue, Ultra Pure, Al Cass, Holton (Electric), Bach, Yamaha, Getzen, Binak, and BerpBio. Since I got the Berp it's the only one I use.

ewetho likes this.
  10. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just try other random valve oils that people like and see what happens.