Wrong valve oil causing buildup?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I never tried Blue Juice, but three other players in my section did, one loves it ,the other two complained of build up on their valves and went back to Al Cass, I use either Bach or Al Cass oil myself.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm surprised that you have build-up. Are you mixing oils at all? Is there a possibility that you're not cleaning, and drying, thoroughly before changing oils, or perhaps you might be getting lint on the valves and the oil is causing that to accumulate and look like a sludge build-up? Could there be soap accumulation after the washing process that isn't mixing with your lubricant - I don't recall having anything that I could describe as build-up, but then I'm a bit fastidious and ALL the bits must be super clean, and very dry before I lubricate and re-assemble. I'm more likely to have dried out valves than any build-up (using Al Cass's FAST oil). I have recently changed to Ultra Pure and everything is silky smooth. You can't afford to mix oils at any time - even if you think they are the same - always clean-dry-lubricate. Interesting thread though - thanks.

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't know if the "buildup" came before me or I caused it. I've cleaned my trumpet probably about every six weeks since I've had it, and used Blue-juice pretty much since I got it. Lint was a real question I had because it got worse after cleaning when I ran a rag through, but then I got a "lint-free" rag through, and still had the problem. I had some other problems, so instead of messing with it took it in, and he said it had a build-up.

I got the horn back last night and it played nicely. Along with the cleaning I got the "recommended" oil. I got a couple of eye openers though, all my slides didn't slide as easily as I usually have them - he used a heavier grease I guess, he said that's how they are supposed to feel so they won't leak. He just seemed to indicate that he thought the blue-juice was the problem. Funny thing is, I buy the blue-juice from their retail store . . . I didn't argue that point with him, it's not really relevant unless he thinks it's bad for all horns in which case he should tell his stores not to carry it, but I didn't quite get that from him.

We'll see how it goes. But I'm still wondering if I should clean out my pocket trumpet and change oils - there is this weird mark on a few of the valves. I don't want to pay to have it cleaned though. Soak in vinegar? Just clean off and don't worry about the mark (almost looks like someone wrote on the valve with a marker). It too has been cleaned - semi-regularly in it's case, probably every three months - and it did not have the marks when I got it, so something is going on.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Mix some rubbing alcohol and a few drops of dish soap with that vinegar - and add some water. Vinegar works better as a cleaner in solution than it does full strength.

Find a way to apply the same solution to the insides of the cylinders too. The Brass Savers brush is a good tool.

Make sure you rinse well. You can buff the valves with a microfiber cloth, but rinse again to make sure you don't leave any fabric residue behind.

Make sure your valves and cylinders are DRY, before you apply oil.

veery

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    With petro chemical, ( non synthetic ), valve oils a residue does accumilate after the prime volatile carrier evaporates. This occurs quite fast. To test this, pour a small amount onto a piece of paper toweling and leave it on a non porous surface, like a plate of glass. After a day or two check the paper towel and the plate of glass. You will find that the towel is dry and the plate of glass has a residue upon it. Usually, alcohol or cleaning amonia will strip that residue. Most synthetic valve oils do not so readily evaporate, if at all. They are my personal choice for lubricating my trumpet and cornet valves. My valves stay clean and residue free using Hetmans synthetic valve oils.

OLDLOU>>

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    You got me sold on Berp. But wait until Belch comes out. I bet it's even better. ROFL

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've been having a good experience so far with Brass Spa H2Oil. Seems to be water-based? My horns all have nickel-silver valves, some are pretty tight, and it's smooth enough. I have to do a couple more clean-and-reoil on some of them because the change from Blue Juice seems to be loosening some crud.

Might be worth a try if you have similar valves.

Tom

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key is to lubricate correctly considering the oil that you are using. Petroleum based oils need to be reapplied daily as they evaporate within 20 hours or so. Synthetics can last up to a week. They are my personal choice.

Regardless of which oil, you ALWAYS need to remove the valves, clean them and the casing, dry everything and then reapply oil. Oil floats on water, so dry valves are simply better protected!

9. jazztrumpeter3

jazztrumpeter3 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    Maine
    i use blue juice-- have ever since i started playing. It has worked for both trumpets i have owned, as well as my flugel. i do know many people that it has not worked for though. I do have to reapply oil a lot, so i've been thinking about maybe trying a different oil.
    To solve your problem of the slides not working as well cuz of the grease he put on, dab a little bit of valve oil on the slides-- it'll move a lot easier.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I just pulled the valves out, and they are pretty. Nice and shiny, which they never were from the time I got the horn. Now, I have never cleaned the valves in between baths, just added oil. It could be that the crux of my problem lies there along with whatever may have already been on the valves.

Thanks everyone.