wtf? man whats up with directors?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 2, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    so on my journey to find a solo that i want to play and hopefully audition with in college I come across this

Tine Thing Helseth: Haydn Trumpet Concerto, 3rd mvt - YouTube

her beautiful sound and tone made me strive to try to sound as beautiful as she did, but not only that but i also fell in love with this piece

i looked it up and came up with two versions. The original and one that is transcribed down a 4th for Bb trumpet. I wanted to play something that i know i could sound very good on but was still challenging. After listening to the song at tempo i decided that the original was too difficult for me to be able to play well within one year so i chose the later. I chose the one that was transcribed down a 4th so that instead of me focusing on the range i can focus on my tounging accuracy and my tone

The next day i show my band director what solo i plan to play and she said "WHAT IS THIS?!?! why is it in the wrong key???"
    I explained the 2 versions available and why i chose this one and she replied "You're not playing this. I could have played this version when i was in 7th grade"

so then i was pissed because she basically threw away the copy i printed and she told me that the only way she'll let me play it as a solo is if it's the original version. The one where i play a high C, Bb every other line

Im not the crazy one here right? this solo seems very difficult for me because the tempo is at 140 bpm and that's the tempo i plan to take it at.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Maybe she sees your potential, and is making you put more effort in to your playing to make you realise it.

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Well I think maybe you should calm down here, I know you would probably not appreciate it if your band director saw this, or your English teacher.

There is no such thing as a wrong key, keys can be transcribed.

The 3rd movement of Haydn is not an easy piece and is a great choice for a solo piece.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Personally, I agree with the OP, on some level.
    Obviously we SHOULD strive to play something which challenges us -- however, there is a point where challenging can lead to bad habits, rather than improvement...

Playing the Haydn mvt III can be quite a challenge, depending on your skill level, and straining to play anything can result in bad news. However, if you have the range, and maybe only stress over a couple notes, then perhaps there is some sense in what your director said.

5. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    that's the problem man i havent had a consistent high C ever since i started playing trumpet
    not now or in the past and when i can get it out its only on my best days

so i dont want to STRAIN myself just to get the range of the song when that's not even the hardest part, it's the speed of the tounging

6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Songs are open for interpretation, whether this be different keys or different speeds. Remember that these were originally written for keyed trumpets and it wasn't possible to hammer the notes past a certain speed. With this in mind, 120bpm is just as acceptable in regards to speed in comparison to 140bpm. Play it at a speed where it sounds nice to you. Remember fast doesn't always mean pretty. Make it pretty.

You also want it to be a speed where the tonguing isn't so fast that it is sloppy. Make sure you work on your tonguing. Make it clean. Make it pretty.

7. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    completely agree with you i want it to be very nice, pretty, and precise
    but i also do want to get it up to or as close to that speed as possible

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm being thinck this morning Dan I'ts early here, you want to play the Eb version on a Bb to make life I won't say easier but less rangg, have I got that right. If I have the why not go for it. All three movements are great fun to play although I play on an Eb. If you maybe took the aproach (with the Big Bad Band Director) I'm using it as an exercise until my chops are strong enough or to get the fingering in my head until I get an Eb she might get it other than that blow the socks off the thing. Just one point about speed, a clean prescise well accented and articulated paly will often sound faster to an audience than a slightly sloppy one (listen to some Scott Joplin and how slow that can be played and still sound quick)

Cheers

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    MY 2 cents, IMO this piece is overplayed/used too much. I used to like it, but everyone plays it now. It's like white noise to me. Find something unusual that hasn't been beaten to death and ground into powder. In the video it looks like an Eb trumpet. I wouldn't pick a piece that needs a high trumpet. Directors are like that when it comes to classics. Not saying it's right because I've heard it in different keys and it's less white noise-ish. I couldn't watch the whole video, sorry.:-(

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I've always wondered if this video is "lip-synched'. It just looks and sounds way too perfect.
    If you can't play the concerto in the right key, don't play it at all. Find something else to play and it is very likely you found the part for Eb trumpet. It will not sound right in that key. On a Bb trumpet it will sound darkish and very dull.
    Rich T.