WTS: WTT - Olds Super Star for .........What ya got?

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by jrd19580, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    SOLD - Olds Super Star for .........SOLD

Hi,

I have an Olds Super Star low 800xxx Serial Number in good condition that I would like to trade for another horn. It plays very open which is my problem I need something that does not play quite as open maybe like an Opera or Super? The valves work great and the slides are all in very good working order. The horn has decent compression and would come in the original case which is not outstanding but it is complete. A professional that I am taking lessons from said in the condition it is in it is worth between $700.00 - $800.00.

Let me know if you are interested and what you have that you may be interested in trading.

I have a Yamaha 737 so I would like to find something that plays just a bit darker than the Yammi.

Thanks!!!

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0852.jpg

No longer Available.........SOLD

2. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    I would also consider a trade for a Kanstul Horn.

3. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    Additionally I would be interested in a trade for a Valve Trombone, Baritone or Euphonium

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It looks like a good horn, they play well and are under-rated IMO. I prefer the SuperStar to the Super.
    The Olds Opera is Large Bore, and it plays really open, I find it draining, but a great blow. For me the Opera plays much like a Holton ST302, it takes a lot of effort - but rewarding. Maybe a Super would suit you better.

Just one thing, the 3rd slide ring is not original, it should have a kink in it to move it to the left, or the finger position to slide it is awkward. Is that how you got it?

My serial number is close to yours, and someone before me changed out the plastic tops on the valve guides, and made the whole top now as a Brass top with the spring around it. The serial number is 113xxx on those brass tops - so maybe a swap with an old Super valve set.

Why am I telling you this? I think the Olds SuperStar is a gem of a horn, one of those that just plays really well. The Ultrasonic bell is a gem as well. I think you may be making a mistake to move it IMO.

In any case good luck, you have a nice horn, and I hope you eventually find what suits you.

5. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    Yes, this is exactly how I got the horn. Thanks for the info!!!

6. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Peter, not all the Super Stars had the bend 3rd slide ring. The one I had in High School was purchased new, and had the straight ring. My current Super Star also came with the straight ring (which I believe to be origional), although I have had a long straight ring custom bent.

The horn does feel odd with a staight 3rd slide ring.

I think the the Super Star jrd19580 shows is correct. The origional straight rings have the little nub on the bottom.

Kevin

Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks Kevin, good info to know it is all original.

8. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    Anyone want to make me an offer for the Trumpet before I move it off to Craigslist and eBay?

Thanks!
    John