WWBW/Musician's Friend/Music 123

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just heard that, Woodwind & Brassworks, Musician's Friend and Music 123 are all owned by Guitar Centers. :shhh: I heard this from another company that sells wind and brass instruments. Has anybody else heard this? :shock:

2. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Yeah, I think so. Why should that be a problem? it sounds like the "other company" is trying to imply your should buy from a "real" brass dealer. If that's their only selling point versus WWBW I'd be wary.

Scatmanblues

3. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am shopping around for the best price on a Cornet. However, I don't mind paying a little more to keep a small guy in business over a monopoly. I always like to make a choice based on all the information I can gather.

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I just ordered a Gard trumpet flugel wheelie bag on Amazon.com and they got it from Musicians's friend. The price was half of what another dealer wanted, and it was free shipping. They said 3-5 business days and they were right on.
    Bob

5. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    "I am shopping around for the best price on a Cornet. However, I don't mind paying a little more to keep a small guy in business over a monopoly. I always like to make a choice based on all the information I can gather."

I've got no problem with that, and believe in shopping local as much as possible too. The reasons for that, though, have a lot more to do with the level of customer support, helpfulness, and general attitude than who owns the company. I don't draw lines based on the size of the company, but the service I receive there and the relationships I have with them.

There are large monopolies with excellent customer service and fine prices and there are small companies run by total jerks. I've found that most often its the jerks who need to throw the "you should buy from me because I'm a "real" XXX dealer. Those other guys are just in it for the money/only do this as part of their business/are just another large corporation." line at their customers. If the small guy is worth supporting, he shouldn't need to use a line like that to make a sale.

Don't take that as an argument, just a clarification of my point. Ultimately, I think we're not disagreeing, and I think you're on the money for looking for as much info as possible.

Scatmanblues

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    A lot of folks here bemoan the fact that there are few if any local brick and mortar dealers where they can go and test horns. this is a primary reason why. If no one buys from the local dealers, they obviously cannot stay in business, but alas, everyone wants the best deal. Local dealers cannot compete with online retailers price-wise.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Since I happen to live in the same town, I have to agree - but I also have to add that they don't even seem to be attempting to compete. I go into the local music store at least every week. Just try to find UltraPure oil, Hetman oil, a US-made trumpet, a brand you'd be proud to take home, a good mouthpiece - they're just not trying that hard to penetrate that market. They do have a fairly extensive assortment of keyboards, guitars, and some percussion, especially in the student lines. And I can actually find H-W BrassSavers there, finally. Every few months, I'll actually manage to find something in sheet music to buy, but it takes a lot of effort.

8. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The cool thing about some of these sites is you get to try the horn out and if you don't like it you can return it. I've was told anywhere from 3 days (Kanstul Music), 7 days (Prowinds) to 45 Days (WWBW). But nothing beats going to a place and trying out a few trumpets. I was able to do this at Kanstul in Anaheim and a place in Sherman Oaks CA called Baxter Northup Music Co. They carry, Bach, King, Yamaha, Sonair, Schilke along with other used horns.

9. jumero

jumero New Friend

Sep 10, 2010
    @Big_Daddy I work for WWBW. If you want to give us a try, shoot me a PM. I'll see if I can set you up with something. :play:

10. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

I bought a couple mutes from WWBW a while back and the shipping label on the box said it was from Musician's Friend. I have no idea if it was one organization or a partnership.