Wynton and LCJO

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Tootsall, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Went to see these guys last night in Calgary... 2 hour drive each way. Anyhow.... a really great evening in a superb concert hall. The Jack Singer hall in Calgary might not be jazz-oriented but it has absolutely superb sound and sight lines for the entire audience.

The guys came out and Marcus Printep demonstrated his chops in the first piece. I think he must have been suffering from a cold because he laid out for the rest of the evening pretty much. At one point, during a wicked drum solo, I saw him look at Wynton, grimace, and make a motion of clearing his nose!

Ryan Kisor took a lot of the solos. My son watched him and said "See, Dad... it's OK to tilt your head to one side and point your bell into the sky!" I had to laugh because it took me a year of nagging to get my son to stop tilting his head over like a bird trying to go to sleep!

They played a mixed set to start off with, then came back for the second of three halves. I'm darned if I can remember the title (I've got notes at home) but it was the four movement piece about Coltrane's story that runs for 1 hour, no stops. Incredible solos all around including the aforementioned drum solo.

Wynton brought out a smaller set for the encore (the third half!) and they went through another 1/2 hour of just juicy stuff.

There were quite a few laughs during the evening including Wynton's comment that the audience didn't want to leave "because it was so cold out there" (-5ºF).

Now I have a question for anyone who might KNOW the answer (ie, not GUESS the answer) .... when he walks around stage he kind of shuffles... like he was walking in a New Orleans funeral procession. Does he have a hip ailment of any kind? or is it just "his way"?

I guess that's about it. If you ever get the chance to hear these guys, don't miss it. Worth the drive and every penny.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    he will be here in atlanta in a few weeks. I have been waiting to hear him for years.

I cant wait! :thumbsup:

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I think they played 3 "halves" in Alberta because you guys are used to that from hockey!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    PERIOD! How many times do I have to tell you... it's a PERIOD, not a half! (or a quarter, or a third or......)

Anyway... it was still a wonderful concert by some superb musicians and I highly recommend hearing the LCJO at any opportunity. My only regret(?) is that the AfroCuban group wasn't with them. As good as the LCJO is, THOSE guys really "turn my crank". Personal taste, has nothing to do with quality or any other OBJECTIVE evaluation process.

5. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Wynton in Edmonton, AB

I also went to the Wynton Marsalis concert (in Edmonton at the Francis Winspear Centre) It was unreal in my opinion. We sat in the choir loft right behind the orchestra which was in my opinion the best seat in the house as we could "watch" the music being made.

One thing I noticed and I was wondering if anybody else who has seen Wynton perform noticed the same thing is how humble he seems to be while on stage. That really stood out to me as he never seemed to hog the spotlight, or make himself seem to be superior to his band. Also, when the other band members performed their pieces he would look at them and the look on his face seemed to show that he was their biggest fan.
    To me that is a sign of a true musician, one that can truly appreciate anothers music without trying to outdo them, but rather complement them.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Re: Wynton in Edmonton, AB

Ditto.

Did Marcus Printep take any more than one solo in the Edmonton show? Or did you get the impression that he was "under the weather" somewhat?

7. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Re: Wynton in Edmonton, AB

He actually performed a couple of solos, but, noticably less than the other trumpeters. And yes, he did look sick come to think of it because I remember thinking to myself "why isn't he soloing as often as the others?" But nonetheless, what a excellent performance by all. At the end of the concert when they left the stage the crowd kept applauding until they came back to perfomr another 2 songs which were very slow, moving ballads.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    HA! I finally found it. I was taking notes as the concert went on! Here is a (mostly) complete play list for the show (I think I missed one)
    Ramblin'
    Mahogany Hall Stomp
    Don't Be Afraid
    Black, Brown & Beige
    Coltrane's "My Love's A Dream" in 4 movements
    Encore:
    All The Things You Are
    It Might As Well Be Spring.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I saw Wynton a few days ago, at UMES (Univ of Maryland, Eastern Shore)
    Ella Fitzgerald Center for the Performing Arts.

I'm a bit "pooped" now .. loong day.

But, I will post soon with my impressions.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    he was smoking Sunday in Atlanta. his playing was incredible!